Nitekq

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Can I get someone who owns ones opinion? I'm seriously considering purchasing one now and then a petrel in the future and switch the nitek to gauge. Is this computer worth the purchase? I'm trying to look at the workbench software and it keeps closing off when I load it up. Also the screen refresh seems slightly annoying, does anyone find this an issue ?

Blackie

Great computer. Horrible software. I love diving my Nitek Q, but that's about it. Mine has a few hundred dives on it now, and in water it is great.

Pros:
Very easy to read
Very easy to switch gases
Very easy to program

Cons:
Horrible horrible software. Horrible.
In computer log lacking information. I wish it logged temp and avg depth on the computer itself.
In very bright light the screen can wash out.

Neutrals:
Refresh rate. This bothers some people, but is no an issue to me.
Stock bungee mount. I'm not a fan but this can be fixed with their optional dual bungee mount.

Overall:
Great computer for the money that can grow with your diving. I you can get it at a good price it would be worth it if you can live with the lack of software. If you eventually want to put it in gauge mode, you might just be better off buying a Petrel and a dedicated bottom timer. Do I regret purchasing mine? Yes and no. Mine is two years old and at the time the Petrel was not out. Would I have bought a Petrel if they were out then? Yes.

Hope this helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i love my Q.

Its a great computer for diving in low light environments. I love how easy it is to dive and the number of gas switches it is capable of supporting. The Q is a tech computer so it lacks some of the rec features that we have all grown accustomed to.

There is no in/out times, just dive duration.

The water temp can only be seen if switching to compass mode while you in the water. It does not store this.

It will not give you a safety stop counter on your dive. It will only give you a stop if you have a committed deco stop.

I have nearly 100 dives on my Q with most of those dives being in either overhead environment or deep dives beyond 100ft. I also dive a Zeagle N2ition as a backup which give me the information the nitek doesnt.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Does the Nitek Q have a gauge mode? I've had mine for almost 2 years. I use it as a back up to my rebreathers computer. Has worked great with out any issues.
Like mentioned the Workbench software has been problematic. Took a lot of work to get the program to install on my computer. Once installed still had problems downloading. I just downloaded dives yesterday and was surprised it work flawlessly.
My rebreather downloads all dives with a lot of information and so mainly rely on it.

Al

Does the Nitek Q have a gauge mode?

Al

Good catch my brain did not process that as I was posting. Unless something is changed in the software they do not. It would be a nice upgrade for these computers maybe something dive rite would consider adding.

Right at the moment my budget is limited to around $700 or so... Stretching to a petrel is going to push it... Any alternatives to the nitek or is this the best for the price range?

I think it's the best in the price range, but a used Petrel is also in that range.

the nitekq is a great little computer...just the software support is lacking to keep it current with new OSs...that is pretty disappointing and i pass that bit on to my students that ask about it. they all own different computers :cool2:

the nitekq is a great little computer...just the software support is lacking to keep it current with new OSs...that is pretty disappointing and i pass that bit on to my students that ask about it. they all own different computers :cool2:

Workbench can work on Windows 8 computers, you just need to be a little tech savvy.

Windows 8: How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Windows 8: Enable the hidden Administrator Account | Ghacks

Right at the moment my budget is limited to around $700 or so... Stretching to a petrel is going to push it... Any alternatives to the nitek or is this the best for the price range?
You should be able to find a used Predator easily for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom