DIR Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tickler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I am new to this site so here is a little bit of background. I was certified about 10 years ago and dove very infrequently until a little over a year ago when I signed up for AOW and have been diving literally every single weekend since. I have racked up 88 dives in the last 12 months and feel that I am above average as far as buoyancy and trim control goes. I mainly dive the springs because the ocean diving near here is not so great. I just started my cavern training and am also in the process of getting certified as a Divemaster. My OW certification through this point has been with NAUI and cavern is through NACD. My Divemaster cert is a different story though. I am doing some product photography and website work for a new shop in exchange for PADI DM certification (not paying cash). I am through most of the book work and will finish up the dive requirements over this winter.

Through my experience in the cavern environment and attempt to get the proper trim I have adopted a set up that is somewhere in between DIR and typical OW. I have a Hollis HD100 BC with a 7' first stage hose, octo-inflate, and a slimline gauge set. I almost never wear a snorkel because there is no need in the springs and I pocket the snorkel if I am doing an ocean dive. I am wondering if this set up is compatible with being a PADI DM. I know that the manual says that there must be a snorkel on you at all times regardless of circumstances which could be dangerous using a long hose. Should I adopt traditional OW gear while acting as a DM or do you think I should emphasize the idea that one style of set up does not fit all styles of diving and keep the set up that I have while assisting classes or acting as a guide?

I would love to get your input on this. Thank you in advance.

First off, you are required to have a snorkel on your person -- nothing says it has to be on your mask. I use a roll-up snorkel clipped off in my pocket when I DM.

A long hose, octo-inflator setup is perfectly acceptable for DMing, so long as the instructor with whom you are working is okay with it.

PADI has very few equipment requirements. Shops and instructors are much more likely to put limits on what you can use while you are assisting with classes.

Here is what the instructor manual says about equipment for a PADI professional:

"Standard Diver Equipment
Make sure divers have, at a minimum:​
1. Fins, mask and snorkel"

The manual goes on to say that all instructors and CAs are to have this equipment. In fact, no where does it state in the manual that it must be on your person.

TSandM has some great points above.

I would ask your instructor prior to the start of your course, as to what gear HE wants you to show up to class with. Ultimately, you're going to be tested on demonstrating skills to new divers, (while you are a candidate) and that may present confusion to students, if your suited up in a tech rig and the students are not. My 2 cents would be to show up with the same gear that the students will be using, i.e. "traditional OW gear". While you are a PADI DMC (Dive Master Candidate), it's not on you to "emphasize the idea that one style of set up does not fit all styles of diving". It's more about you "making coffee for the Instructor, adhering to PADI Standards, and doing what the instructor tells you to do", if you know what I'm saying. Am I exaggerating ? Yeah, but only a little. I was lucky and had a great, rigorous Instructor that pushed me when I did my PADI DM.

I agree with pfcAJ- the best practice is to wear what the students wear so you can demonstrate skills as needed, and reinforce you identification with them. I have a specific set of gear I wear for training, and then I have my "going diving" gear. My best guide for a new DM- as noted elsewhere in the thread - is ask the instructor you are assisting. Second best guideline: use the same general set up that the students are using.
DivemasterDennis

Should I adopt traditional OW gear while acting as a DM or do you think I should emphasize the idea that one style of set up does not fit all styles of diving and keep the set up that I have while assisting classes or acting as a guide?

This all has very little to do with what you want, and a lot to do with what the shop owner wants.

Some don't care what you use, but others want you using what they sell, or what the customers are using.

flots.

I agree with pfcAJ- the best practice is to wear what the students wear so you can demonstrate skills as needed, and reinforce you identification with them. I have a specific set of gear I wear for training, and then I have my "going diving" gear. My best guide for a new DM- as noted elsewhere in the thread - is ask the instructor you are assisting. Second best guideline: use the same general set up that the students are using.
DivemasterDennis

Whooaaaaaahhh there! I'm just calling attention to the grammar. I think snorkels on masks are uh.... less than ideal, to put it nicely :)

A lot of what equipment you use during training and DMing will depend on the shop you are working for.
during training you should be using something similar to what the students will be using so you are familiar using that equipment.
When you are DMing for a shop they generally want you in equipment brands that they sell. My shop also wants their DM's in equipment similar to the students for the pool classes but allow more latitude for the open water classes, I use my bpw for open water and my Ranger or a shop bcd for pool work.
What equipment and configuration you use will very likely be determined by your shop.

I do dive in a jacket and with a snorkel on my mask in the pool for shop OW classes. The jacket is more because I had one (acquired in a mass gear purchase) and because I don't like it, I don't mind soaking it in chlorine :) The snorkel is because there are specific skills we have to demonstrate involving snorkels. For the OW dives, I dive my Hog rig, with the rolled-up snorkel. MOST students don't seem to notice that anything about my (or Peter's) gear is different. A few ask . . . and guess what, we've sold more BP/W setups in our shop in the last year than all other BCDs put together!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom