Butt Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Deep Sea Supply's Sidemount tail plate. I have it on all my student BCs as well.

They will fit on anything with a 2" crotch strap. Dive Rite makes a technical Butt Plate. It's too big for my tastes.

Golem Gear and DIRZone also make some.

Why a buttplate on a BPW setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It's a lot easier on joints that don't have full range of motion. It also means that I don't need a D-ring on my left belt. Items can be clipped left/right/center as well. I simply like it.

It's a lot easier on joints that don't have full range of motion. It also means that I don't need a D-ring on my left belt. Items can be clipped left/right/center as well. I simply like it.

Ok, so you are using as a place to clip off other items instead of a butt dring which can be difficult in reaching? That makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Pete's.idea is a good one. There are times when in the dry suit and doubles with heavy gloves that using the butt d ring is a pain in that region so to speak. Since I started diving SM the small plate on my LT Tech rig makes a big difference when needing to clip off items along with the tanks. I have a deep outdoors butt plate somewhere around here but it is too big and doesn't have rings. It is designed to carry a couple.lift bags or similar items and has a small pocket that is pretty much useless. It was an impulse.buy early on after getting OW certed. Used a couple times on my old Probe bc.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Another reason is for us multi-configuration guys. Those that dive doubles, SM, rebreather, fill in the blank, rinse, lather, repeat. It's kinda nice to setup your bottles, and rigs such that they all have compatible muscle memory while in use. Using the D-Rings on your harness for doubles and then using the buttplate for exclusively SM is just a pain. It's a small financial inconvenience to make all your bottles kit up the same and feel the same. It's an unnecessary luxury, but all my rigs have the DR buttplate just for my convenience.

Yeah, I probably own more than a dozen of Tobin's butt plates for all my backplates and Express Techs. My students get to use them right from the get go. The only rig it's not on is my Hollis SMS 100 that I use for Side Mounting. It has it's own and an additional butt plate just hurts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom