Trip Report: Manta Madness aboard the MV Leo (part of the Constellation Fleet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tplyons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently returned from a nine day charter onboard the MV Leo (part of the Constellation Fleet) out of Malé, Maldives. The trip was organized by Underwater Adventures Dive Center in Short Hills, NJ.

Upon our arrival we were picked up at Ibrahim Nasir International Airport by Rowan, one of our dive guides. After a quick wait, our dhoni (the traditional fishing/transport boat used in the Maldives) arrived and the dhoni crew loaded our luggage and ferried us to the MV Leo where were were given the tour, assigned our cabins, and were told that every time the bell rang, we should come to the parlor for "something good" -- either meaning it was time to go diving or time to eat!

On our tour we were shown the parlor, which is a dry area, where we would eat all our meals and receive all our dive briefings. This is also where we relaxed and got to know our fellow divers enjoying the air conditioning between dives and in the evenings. The bow featured a jacuzzi which we didn't use, as well as two decks where we could take in the sights and sun of the Maldives. The stern was the only place we could smoke so the rest of the boat didn't carry the odor... many evenings ended here with a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other. Most of the cabins were below deck and were comfortable, with two twin beds and a private bath. The rooms were comfortable and the bath was nicer than I've seen in many American hotels.

Unfortunately, the air conditioning was not functioning properly on the first two days of the trip, so Brett, the boat manager offered free beers to the guests. With the doors open and the fans going, and a few cold beers, we were as happy as could be despite the slight inconvenience of the broken AC.

On day two, our first day of diving, we did our checkout dive, a gentle drift dive on the Karumba House Reef. After the bell, we were briefed and we moved to the dhoni that we would be diving from for the next week. The dhoni was spacious, provided a camera table, delivered us to and picked us up from the dive sites, and the crew was great about helping us move about. After a dive, we would take our computers and cameras and leave the rest of our gear. We would come back from each dive with our tanks filled with Nitrox and ready to go. Our next dives took us to the Kuda Giri wreck and a night dive at Alimathaa (better known as the Jetty, with stingrays and nurse sharks).

The rest of the week took us to many pinnacles, channels, and a few drift dives. On the cruise we were able to swim with many white tipped reef sharks, grey reefs, manta rays, eagle rays, stingrays, reef fish, and even some whale sharks in the northern atolls. The dive guides Brett, Nora, Rowan, and Liwas were great about finding the sea life and pointing it out to us. I had the pleasure of diving with Rowan, Brett and Nora throughout the week and only had a chance to talk to Liwas between dives, however I couldn't speak more highly of the crew.

The food onboard the Leo was excellent, and we left every meal full and happy. The guests on our cruise consisted of ten Americans from Underwater Adventures Dive Center in NJ, two Brits, three Germans, one guy from France, one Russian and a videographer from Singapore. The guides represented the UK, China, South Africa and the Maldives. Everyone onboard got along great and built a great community throughout the week. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and I'm back in the states.

Long story short, I was absolutely floored by the quality of service onboard the MV Leo. I would happily come back to dive the southern atolls with Brett and crew, or I might try one of the sister ships, either the flagship Orion or the Virgo.

I have been diving for 8 years in various counrties in Asia, Australia and New Zealand. I am a long term reader of SB. This is my first post.

We just did a 7-day trip aboard MV Leo (Apr 2014) in Maldives. The boat facilities and the food are excellent, the rooms are nice and clean. But we are not quite satisfied with the diving. We were assigned to a dive guide who is not so familiar with the dive sites. Every dive we were just swimming in a straight line and our DM was not able to show us interesting spots in the sites. We wasted a lot of gas while kicking against current and meaninglessly staying at depth. We were always the last group to jump in and the first group to get out of water. On one manta cleaning station dive, our DM seemed to have missed the spot and we were fighting against current for the whole dive, seeing nothing. Other groups stayed still at the cleaning station and enjoyed the action with manta for 20 minutes. We tried to complain to the dive manager on boat but nothing was done to improve the situation.

We feel that the quality of the dive crew varies a lot on this boat. Two groups can jump into the same dive site and the difference can be between heaven and hell. I have sent to the company a long email pointing out all the issues we met during the trip. All I got back is a short reply pushing all the faults to the DM and a 10% discount for my next come back. It seems they are not recognizing their staffing problem. With our disappointment, We certainly will not try our luck again with this company if we visit Maldives again in future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom