Snorkler looking for an Achilles Tang on Maui.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Great site, so much info. Nov.12-20th I'll be going to Maui for the third time (staying in Napili this time). I own a saltwater aquarium store in upstate NY and it has always been my dream to see an Achilles Tang in the wild. So far they have eluded me; my last trip 18 months ago I did multiple swims of Honolua, Black Rock and Ulua. From research I've been doing Kahekili and going out farther at Honolua are my best options. Does anyone have any suggestions? Molokini is out as I get motion sickness embarrassingly easy.

Thanks,
Adam

Back in the 80's you would see schools of Achilles Tangs, schools of hundreds of Yellow Tangs, Tinkers Butterflys and Banded Angels could be found above 100 feet. All of this has changed because of Saltwater Aquarium Shop owners. So in retrospect I don't believe I would tell you where anything was in fear that you might just want to capture it and make a profit. But that's just me.

Back in the 80's you would see schools of Achilles Tangs, schools of hundreds of Yellow Tangs, Tinkers Butterflys and Banded Angels could be found above 100 feet. All of this has changed because of Saltwater Aquarium Shop owners. So in retrospect I don't believe I would tell you where anything was in fear that you might just want to capture it and make a profit. But that's just me.

Wow, what an uninformed response, thanks. I only order aquacultured or locally grown corals (local hobbyists), most of the fish I order are captive bred and the ones that aren't are certified sustainable (MAC) and the companies donate to reef rehab projects. I know you won't believe any of that, but that's fine. I've never even ordered an Achilles because they don't deserve to be in captivity.

As for the meds, dramamine and bonine make me so groggy that it wouldn't be wise for me to be out there.

Try here: Ahihi Kinau On one of the Hawaii Fish guide websites I've seen pictures of them that IIRC were shot there. It's near Makena. Closer to where you're staying I'd try Kapalua Beach - we saw a lot of different fish out there - don't recall if any were Achilles. Aren't they the ones that pair up?

I might have seen a few off the south point at Wailea Beach. We weren't looking for them so I don't recall if they were Achilles or another dark colored tang. Might've been too deep to snorkel, we were at about 40'. The "other" humuhumu's (Lagoon Trigger) are spotted there also.

If you do want to try Molokini, maybe do it on the Pride of Maui. It's about the biggest, stablest boat that goes out there. It still was a little pitchy at the mooring though - wasn't the calmest day. Leaves out of Ma'alea.

Last edited:
You will not find a lot of love for the aquarium trade among the Hawai'i dive community. Many share my own opinion that the industry simply steals from the rest of us. You may attempt to be responsible, but it is guilt by association.

If the whole industry were primarily captive bred it would be one thing, but it is not. I may be skeptical, but in this day of overstressed resources there may not be such a thing as a sustainable removal for what is essentially a totally wasteful use. The percentage of wild caught fish that die quickly in captivity is abhorrent.

Industry certifications of "sustainable" are a game that may eliminate the worst cases of abuse, leaving the simple overharvest and stressing of ecosystems. Are our Hawaiian yellow tangs sold as "sustainable"?

On that note, I do see achillies tangs often enough on the Kona coast. They are around, you probably just need more water time on a healthy reef. Good luck.

You will not find a lot of love for the aquarium trade among the Hawai'i dive community. Many share my own opinion that the industry simply steals from the rest of us. You may attempt to be responsible, but it is guilt by association.

If the whole industry were primarily captive bred it would be one thing, but it is not. I may be skeptical, but in this day of overstressed resources there may not be such a thing as a sustainable removal for what is essentially a totally wasteful use. The percentage of wild caught fish that die quickly in captivity is abhorrent.

Industry certifications of "sustainable" are a game that may eliminate the worst cases of abuse, leaving the simple overharvest and stressing of ecosystems. Are our Hawaiian yellow tangs sold as "sustainable"?

On that note, I do see achillies tangs often enough on the Kona coast. They are around, you probably just need more water time on a healthy reef. Good luck.

That's fair enough and I don't deny any of that, the majority of the shops and ALL of the big box stores do a terrible job and give the rest of us a very bad black eye.

A bunch of people have said Kona, I appreciate the help. To the best of my knowledge no fish netted in Hawaiian waters is certified "sustainable", most of those certifications come from the Indonesian area.

I'll certainly check Kapalua. I thought Ahihi Kinau was "closed"? I see a bunch of conflicting info on that particular site.

I don't know. Here's the DLNR page: `Ahihi-Kina`u ? Department of Land and Natural Resources

Portions of `Ahihi-Kina`u are closed August 1, 2012 through July 31, 2014

Updated Closure Map link below:

AK Closure Map

VISITING HOURS:

Access to the northern and most often visited portions of the reserve will be allowed during posted visiting hours of 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. daily.

Last edited:
I'm on Big Island and I see them all the time at Leileiwi and Richardsons Beach. Hope you can find them on Maui too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom