Hollis wings and no STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you dive the single tank wings with or without the STA, why or why not? It would seem to me the STA would put the tank farther from the body and want to roll the diver more. I dive steel tanks and my current bc wants to roll me to one side or another. Does it matter one way or another?

Hello Nick:

I currently dive with a Hollis SS Backplate and the Hollis S38 wing. I initially began using the integrated soft STA (if you can call it that) that comes with the wing. It was a pain in the ass to line up the tank with the cam straps. I currently use an STA, which makes me a few lbs more negative and it's super easy mounting or changing tanks. I do agree, it takes a bit more effort to reach the valve but it's not something that I can't perform within a few seconds. If you're curious, I use an Agir Brokk STA.

Thanks for the reply. I was curious as how it was without the STA, and it would seem more stable with the STA.

I dive the Hollis S38 also with a Hollis STA. I have no issues with rolling and I like the STA. As for being "away" from my back the tank is only about 1 1/2" farther away so not a big deal to me. There are STA's available that are angled compared to square like the Hollis STA. My STA weighs less than one lb or maybe one pound at the most.

I dove a Hollis BP/W with no STA and had no problems with it. AL80, AL100, LP85, HP100, LP95. It fit well, solid, stable, and was close to my back. That was crucial with the super negative tanks.

I have dived my Hollis plate with an without an OMS STA and didn't even notice a difference. Both ways the tank was rock solid and the OMS STA puts less than 1/2" between the plate and tank.

I have dove both using and not using STA, rolling is nothing I've ever noticed. The tank will sit marginally more securely (read zero movement) if just using cam bands through plate and wing slots. I prefer using a STA, it makes dissembling my rig easier for cleaning, adds a 1lb+ of weight that I don't need to carry on a belt and is easier to put on/swap tanks on a rolling boat. It also allows trim weight pockets, using angled STA such as DR or AGIR, to sit a little nicer. I like the U shaped Hollis and a Halcyon STA as a 6lb weight can be added if required diving a drysuit or AL tanks. The tank roll control tabs found on the Hollis (removable) and Oxycheq (fixed) wings work fine.

(Based on my experience with Hollis wings, plates and STA, Oxycheq wings, DR plates and STA, AGIR plates and STA, Scubapro plates and Halcyon weighted STA)

I went ahead with the STA, worst case, I can just take it off. Thanks for all the replys

I went ahead with the STA, worst case, I can just take it off. Thanks for all the replys

If you decide you need extra weight/re distributed you can always buy the Halcyon STA weight insert it fits the a Hollis STA.

If you decide you need extra weight/re distributed you can always buy the Halcyon STA weight insert it fits the a Hollis STA.

Right on. With my 3mil, steel 100, and my bc, I don't need any extra weight, but with the weather and water cooling down (a lot) its about time to switch to the 7mil semi-dry, I'll definitely be needing some extra weight. What's the weight on the Halcyon insert? Or can you get it in different weights?

Back
Top Bottom