Tank Fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blauvelt

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very new to diving (4 months 20 dives.) I have two dive shops close by and they're both a pleasure to visit. One will fill my tanks until they leak (about 3400) the other brings them to 3000. Which one would you have tanks filled at?
Thanks.

They fill your tanks until they leak??? Where is the leak coming from? I don't think that is possible unless the burst disc ruptured then they would have to replace it for the tank to hold air at all. Now if it is the compressor shutting down and bleeding air, that is different.

3400 isn't unreasonable for a 3000 psi tank. It will probably cool down to around 3000 then you would have a good fill.

Aluminum and thanks for the answer.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2013 at 10:18 AM ----------

dgreenh, Sorry I missed the first part of your reply. On one visit the gal said "I hear something leaking I think your tank is ready" I assumed it was a release on the k valve?

Personally I would be just as interested in how well do they maintain their equipment? Do they seem to know what they are doing? Are the tanks ready when they are supposed to be?

I switched because I found I had to make up an imaginary early date since they were never ready on time. The staff sometimes did stuff that did not make sense. Like resettting the NO2 reader to air while it still had nitrox in the line. Giving me over 32% when I had requested 30%.

Steve, I've never dropped them off. Always had them filled while I snooped. Both are very friendly shops that I enjoy hanging around in while they fill the tanks. I didn't know if maybe one was overfilling and I didn't know if it was a reason to be concerned? dgreenh answered that for me.

Steve, I've never dropped them off. Always had them filled while I snooped. Both are very friendly shops that I enjoy hanging around in while they fill the tanks. I didn't know if maybe one was overfilling and I didn't know if it was a reason to be concerned? dgreenh answered that for me.

If they are filling them while you wait then unless they have one impressive cooling system you want to get your tanks with at least 3200 in them. They will be warm and you will drop some PSI as they slowly cool to first ambient temp and then to water temp. 3400 sounds like a slight overfill.

Air quality and cost and how fast they fill would be things I would want to know. 3400 in a quick fill is probably less than 3000 when cooled. If the tank is immersed in cool water during the fill, it will hold the pressure. My final answer: If both places have "clean air," I would go to the closest or most convenient location.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom