Sensible Depth Limit for an Untrained Freediver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I grew up snorkeling in the lakes of British Columbia, and since childhood I have tended to spend the majority of my swimming time underwater. In summer I like to collect cans and bottles off the bottoms of lakes in the Vancouver area.

Last summer I found that I was getting down around 35' without great difficulty (using wal-mart fins and mask) and I don't want to do too much too soon now that I've acquired some proper gear.

Eventually I plan to take some classes, but out of curiosity, what is a sensible depth limit for an untrained diver swimming alone?

I grew up snorkeling in the lakes of British Columbia, and since childhood I have tended to spend the majority of my swimming time underwater. In summer I like to collect cans and bottles off the bottoms of lakes in the Vancouver area.

Last summer I found that I was getting down around 35' without great difficulty (using wal-mart fins and mask) and I don't want to do too much too soon now that I've acquired some proper gear.

Eventually I plan to take some classes, but out of curiosity, what is a sensible depth limit for an untrained diver swimming alone?

I'm not much of a free diver but as a general rule of thumb I wouldn't stay under water for more than about a minute until you've gotten some training and experience under supervision.

R..

I free dive spearfish every week and have for the last 12 years or so. I took the Intermediate Performance Free Diver Course.

The first thing I would tell you is to never do this alone, especially if you're going to try and push your limits. You can black out doing extended breath hold in 5 feet of water. Experienced free divers have died training alone in swimming pools. Shallow water blackout can happen to anyone.

I saw my son blackout in our PFI course. Just like in the videos. Lucky he was in my arms in 5 feet of water.

On the other hand, a 100 foot dive only takes about one minute if you just go down and touch bottom. You will learn your limits as you go. Some people are naturals physically. My son weighs 140 lbs I weigh 175. He can blow a balloon on one breath about 20% bigger than I can. Needless to say, he can out dive me. He's an economy car with a big fuel tank. I'm a large sedan with a smaller tank.

Equipment can make a big difference also. Long blade, carbon fiber fins will get you to the bottom having burned less oxygen. A small volume mask requires much less air from your limited tank, your lungs, to equalise. This really comes into play as you go deeper.

Taking a course was definitely worth it. I'm still learning from what we did and I did my course two years ago.

It's all about relaxing on the surface, good technique, and being properly weighted. Listen to your body and don't push it too hard. Do that on your couch watching TV.

Once you get some experience. 60-70 foot dives are pretty easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom