Two quick Ginnie-related questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, let me start off by saying that I've never been to the High Springs area. I want to go, but all of the housing options I can find has me driving over an hour each way or camping, and then driving to get fills anyway.

The main question I have is because I was told by a local that he dives to p2800' on thirds on LP85's with no stages and no scooter. My experience is on the Mill Pond, and that much penetration is just not possibly. That's ~56 min penetration assuming 50fpm. Sanity check here, am I being lied to?

The other question is (I know, I'm sorry)....what dives to do first if I'm headed down there?

Victor I always stay at Cave Excursions and drive the 45 min to Ginnie.
I take two sets of tanks do two dives Faber LP 85's.
I either fill at Amigo's or go back to CE if not going back to Ginnie.
If you only have one set you can rent from Wayne or CE the other.

Wayne has houses to rent out as well, just go on his site and you can give it a look.
As far as commenting on the RMV in flow it is what ever you get.
With more experience in any system flow or not your RMV gets better but that does sound a bit extreme.
To far for me personally without more gas but that is my opinion and practice only.

Hope this helps I think you will enjoy Ginnie it is a awesome place.
All of the caves in the area are awesome right now.
Have fun and dive safe.

CamG

I always stay at CE as well. I've stayed at Wayne's properties before but it's an open door policy meaning you rent the bed and the house is open to how ever many people he wants to put in there. I like privacy and security being able to leave my things out without worrying. Also we stayed there a year ago and had a noisy group in the house as well that kept us up late laughing and talking loudly.

Ginnie is a great cave, if you've never been, mainline is a great place to start. Also Hill 400 and the Bone room are nice dives. It takes awhile to get a feel for the cave and know where the flow is and isn't. My advice would be to hook up with someone who is familiar with it.

As far as 2800' that sounds extreme on 85's I can only make it 1400' or so on 85's. Granted my SAC rate isn't amazing but I usually stay in the .6 range at Ginnie which isn't bad for a high flow cave.

Hey all, let me start off by saying that I've never been to the High Springs area. I want to go, but all of the housing options I can find has me driving over an hour each way or camping, and then driving to get fills anyway.

The main question I have is because I was told by a local that he dives to p2800' on thirds on LP85's with no stages and no scooter. My experience is on the Mill Pond, and that much penetration is just not possibly. That's ~56 min penetration assuming 50fpm. Sanity check here, am I being lied to?

The other question is (I know, I'm sorry)....what dives to do first if I'm headed down there?
No, you won't be getting 2800ft in LP85's without a scooter or stage. I would say the person telling you that is either in the upper 0.05% of cave divers or a liar. With 250cu ft of gas or so @ 3600psi, it would require a .43 SAC against strong flow, and keep in mind that to swim 50fpm in Ginnie you're kicking 65fpm to overcome the flow.

I would suggest the white room, parallel lines, july springs. If you decide to stage, then double domes would be a good idea.

I stay at the cadillac inn a few doors down from cave country dive shop. Its pretty cheap and not too far from Ginnie. I enjoy Hill 400 but I dont think I could make it there on 85s even if they were cave filled. I use 104s.

Seems a little ambitious, especially considering the depth/flow. I might suggest factoring loss of decompression gas into your overall plan prior to attemtping that much penetration.

Seems a little ambitious, especially considering the depth/flow. I might suggest factoring loss of decompression gas into your overall plan prior to attemtping that much penetration.
I don't think I've ever had a dive at Ginnie where the extra 1/3 didn't cover decompression. Think about it-- Oxygen takes roughly 50% off (a little more) the deco time when compared to 32%. If you're diving LP85's at 3600ps, that's about 85cu ft that you wouldn't touch on a normal dive, or roughly 2x of what a completely full AL40 would hold of oxygen-- and you should never use more than 2/3 of your deco gas anyways.

I don't think I've ever had a dive at Ginnie where the extra 1/3 didn't cover decompression. Think about it-- Oxygen takes roughly 50% off (a little more) the deco time when compared to 32%. If you're diving LP85's at 3600ps, that's about 85cu ft that you wouldn't touch on a normal dive, or roughly 2x of what a completely full AL40 would hold of oxygen-- and you should never use more than 2/3 of your deco gas anyways.

That's a fair point you make. I was initially thinking about two divers coming out in an air-share from 1/2 mile back and having to complete deco absent the bottle(s). Theoretically, considering the flow, they still probably make it.

Air share from max pen plus missing deco bottles = bent/dead. Might as well not dive if you think that's going to happen.

Thanks, guys. I was told his SAC rate was hovering around 0.20 and instantly got skeptical. 56 minutes of penetration on BM LP85's to me means like 45ft average depth....especially for someone with good mass. Assuming 15ft/min flow out, p2800' means 80min of penetration. 2.5 hours at FL Cave depth on LP85's? It's just.....hard to believe.

So, accomodations are what I've found and what I expected. Is the same true with other caves in the area? Are the other caves "more" worth it?

My plan is to go with someone that is familiar with the area, but that isn't always possible as I get very little notice of when I'll be able to make it to caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom