What Drives a Dive Business to Choose an Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

The recent dissatisfaction over PADI's changes to the DSD program got me thinking. Once upon a time, there was NAUI. It was good. Then along came PADI, which somehow swelled to become the market leader (at least in the U.S., and maybe worldwide as a whole?). And SSI, which seems much like PADI. And TDI decided to branch into recreational instruction, so we've got SDI (thank you for the Solo Diver course!). And SEI seems to exist for people who want more rigorous OW course instruction compared to the mainstream. And we hear that in Europe the BSAC club model is big, and CMAS is also.

So I got to thinking. How'd PADI shoot way past NAUI? Some will say PADI lowered standards and enabled mass diver production, and since SSI seems similar, perhaps why they seem to've grown to be a contender, too. Many people who are more casual about wanting to try diving aren't going to go for harder, more 'hard core' offerings at the outset, and won't know why they might want to seek out SEI (which most have never heard of) over PADI (with the most brand name recognition). There have been other threads about prospective divers choosing an agency.

But on this forum, people sometimes post that NAUI allows instructors to 'beef up' course content & require mastery as a condition of certification, though if memory serves the basic OW requirements, if not beefed up, are very similar to PADI's and SSI's. And NAUI is a not-for-profit, and seems to turn out some good educational materials (I'm judging by the Master Scuba Diver course text book, which I use as a reference).

So, why don't more independent instructors go the NAUI route instead of PADI? (I understand SSI requires its instructors to affiliate with a dive shop, and PADI and NAUI don't). Seems like instructors would want the agency granting the most latitude to them. Seems like if you want to offer 'bare basic' minimum standard courses, you can do it under NAUI, but you've got the option to customize. Is this not the best of both worlds?

And why don't more Dive Shops become NAUI shops instead of 'PADI 5 Star blah-blah-blah' facilities? Does PADI or SSI do something for them NAUI doesn't?

The main market driver I suspect is tropical resort shops doing a lot of 'finisher OW work' on referral who can get a lot more PADI referrals from the U.S.

Is there more to it?

If the issue is brand recognition, it seems to me there are so many PADI shops, your business sounds 'same old, same old.' Could you not market NAUI training is a better choice for the discriminating diver, combining locally custom-enhanced training with additional skills still under the umbrella of a huge, well-established globally recognized brand?

Is the BSAC approach seen as undermining the market for paid formal agency courses? I don't know how the money works in a BSAC or CMAS-affiliated agency setting.

Richard.

P.S.: I live in the U.S., so my perspective is centered there, of course. Some of you can offer viewpoints from other places, and that could be interesting, too.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

PADI knows how to market. They are the leaders in marketing. And that's what it's all about. PADI is run as a business. Many of the other agencies are run more as a club. And some of them are very exclusive (it's an ego thing). This keeps them back.

When I first decided to take lessons, I heard about NAUI. It sounded really hard and was also more expensive. Still I believed I'd be training under NAUI until someone's told me about PADI. The dive op was handy, the course cost less and I perceived it as less rigorous. And since I was merely trying this diving thing out to see if I liked it . . .why pay more and be put through the wringer. Further, it was emphasized that PADI was more widely recognized. That was then . . A six week PADI course.

Had I known the overwhelming love and complete life change that was to occur, I'd have gone with NAUI.

Last edited:
How interchangeable are instructor certifications? Can a NAUI certified instructor teach a course for a PADI shop?

Instructor programs are generally NOT interchangeable. Some agencies will accept you "blindly" as an instructor for another agency (for example I crossed over to SDI from PADI just by paying the crossover and some dues). But that will only happen with the agency that needs the people in their ranks the most (which in that case was SDI). PADI will NOT accept a simple crossover from any agency. You have to do an IE and a portion of the OWSI course. I believe it is the same with SSI, there is no "just pay and crossover". So again, it all depends.

But for sure, NO AGENCY INSTRUCTOR can teach for another agency without first doing a crossover. What that crossover entails depends on which agency to which agency.

How interchangeable are instructor certifications? Can a NAUI certified instructor teach a course for a PADI shop?

A NAUI instructor can teach for a PADI facility as long as it is a NAUI course he runs and the facility is NOT a five star. If five star cannot do any other than PADI if PADI has a program for whatever particular course that is taught.

Right, so if someone wants to become an instructor and keep their options open about which dive shop to work or at least teach at/for, possibly abroad in a nice and hot place, then their best choice would be go to the PADI route, because that's what most dive shops are and would save them from any agency crossover troubles. Which brings us to the second question posted...

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 10:54 AM ----------

And maybe the second question can be answered by the fact that if a shop becomes a PADI shop, then they have more instructors to choose from and to hire? :D
Vicious circle right there :rofl3:

I totally agree with dive-a-holic. As a business PADI is way ahead of everyone else when it comes to marketing, materials, and LDS support. I will confess I am PADI trained from the start through professional rating. I also want to say that I believe the training I have had at every level to have been excellent and more than adequate. While I am sure that is not true for every PADI diver, its probably not true for everyone trained under the flag of any agency. I also think PADI does a good job of incident investigation, standards compliance enforcement, and responsiveness to suggestions for course improvement and update, though I too do not agree with all of their changes.
DivemasterDennis

If I had to do it again I would not switch from SDI to Naui. From what I know about it, it is a lot more rigorous but I do not see the point of some of the training other than to make it physically challenging. As it is my training has been a mix of SDI, PADI, and SSI depending on who was offering something I wanted to learn about at a given time.

Back
Top Bottom