Perhentian vs. Fiji vs. Borneo. Where to go in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropikey

New
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I plan to organize for me and my wife a "childfree" and mainly snorkeling trip to Asia/Pacific region in August 2014. As we are from Poland, it's going to be very long journey for us. Therefore, I'd like to pick a place which is as close to ideal as possible. The main features of such place are:
a) excellent underwater views and reach marine life accessible for snorkelers,
b) possibility of snorkeling straight from the shore,
c) good weather and visibility conditions in August,
d) decent choice of nice and affordable accommodation,
e) possibility to connect this snorkeling destination with other activities, not necessarily in the same location.

After some research I've limited my wish list to 3 destinations:

1) Perhentian Islands in Malaysia - it's the easiest place for us to get to from Poland. We just need to fly to Kuala Lumpur (there's plenty of affordable connections) and then just a short flight to Kota Bharu (for example Air Asia) and we're almost there. Unfortunately, I've found some recent reviews saying that growing tourism in this region destroys condition of coral and has negative influence on other marine life. Do you agree with such opinion?

2) Fiji - a long trip although acceptable, particularly with Korean Air which operates on route Europe - Seoul - Nadi. According to different opinions, it seems that underwater world is still almost untouched there, so it could be the right place for us, particularly that there might be also something else to do (waterfalls, local culture, etc.),

3) islands close to east coast of Borneo, like Mabul or Sipadan - I heard a lot of good things about these islands, however, my impression is that it's not so easy to get there.

I'll appreciate your advice helping me in right decision.
If there're other places in this region, which you think that might fit our requirements, please let me know...

Best regards, Bartek

perhentians are definatly a choice for easing snorkeling all around the islands. especially the big island might island as it is more couple orientated than the small. apart from diving/ snorkeling and some hiking there is not much to do. trips to the highlands of penissular malaysia would possibly be intersting (takes a couple of hours by bus) .
i have not been to the other places you mentioned.
have you thought about sumatra. pulau weh for snorkeling and mainland for other activeties. easy to reach from kl and relatively cheap compared to other locations.

Fiji would be an excellent choice. Fantastic snorkeling, waterfalls, cultural tours, dolphin excursions, village tours, and all kinds of other options depending on where you stay. Veru reasonable accomodations if you know where to look and beatiful weather. A South Pacific experience second to none.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom