red mark across neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Emily has been using her drysuit for maybe 10 dives. Yesterday we had a great day of diving but she came back with a red welt across the front of her neck. What could account for this? Did she have the seal folded wrong maybe? It did not leak, and she didn't complain of a too-tight seal while she was diving.

Thanks,

Bill

The red mark is most likely due to the seal being tight and moving back and forth leaving to some irritation. In SoCal we call them drysuit hickies. I've also noticed even if the seal isn't real tight that wearing a hood that's pretty tight will also make this happen. Try a different hood maybe, or lube the seal with some seal saver which may allow it to move around easier.

I was getting a neck seal abrasion on two-dive days and, on Raftingtigger's suggestion, have been using KY lubricant lately. My buddy yesterday was using a silicone lubricant.

Perhaps a mild allergy to latex.

i have two bruises on the back of my shoulders from my drysuit (D1) one on the left side and one on the right. it is exactly were the zipper stars and where the zipper ends. im assuming it is from the weight of my bcd resting on the zipper ends. it doesn't hurt, but my wife pointed it out to me. i might have to steal some of her pads for my next dive :)

Try a product called Body Glide, runners use it and it works great to eliminate neck seal marks and "hangman's neck".

"hangman's neck".

That is what we call it and refer to it as the "Hang mans club". Although not common it does happen sometimes. I switched to silicon and haven't had one since. Ironically they are often caused by a loose seal that moves and rubs on the neck.

Hi Bill,

I see you are getting lots of feedback on help for Emily. Nice! One thing I just wanted to mention. Gee how do I say this politely.... Ok here goes nothing. Ladies have big heads in relationship to neck size. This is important when thinking about switching to a neoprene neck seal.

Take a football player. Regular size head, giant neck. The diameter of his neck seal in relation to his head size is pretty forgiving. Easy to put on and take off.

Ladies... regular size head...small neck. For the neck seal to work at all it's going to be SUPER tight going over the head. Most ladies find this unbearable.

Just something to consider.

I would definitely read the article we have posted at DUI. And if you suspect an allergy check with your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Kathy Long with DUI - Diving Unlimited

Back
Top Bottom