Going to Cozumel for the first time, any tips or advice appreciated :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girlandthesea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

My husband and I just booked a last minute trip to Mexico and are staying in the Mayan and planning to take the Playa del Carmen ferry over to Cozumel for some diving. My husband is a newer diver with only 14 dives and I am a bit more experienced. I have heard that Cozumel can be more difficult b/c it is all drift and can be on the deeper side. We have both stayed in the Mayan before but as we have never been to Cozumel or dived in Mexico we would really appreciate any advice regarding the diving or the trip itself! Thanks

My husband and my first dive trip EVER was to Cozumel and it taught us a lot in a short amount of time - about buoyancy and controlling trim. Cozumel has a range of depths so don't be concerned about the depth - just remember if they say they are taking you to a wall dive, watch your depth gauge. Who are you diving with - do you need a recommendation of a shop? We dive with Dive Paradise and love them.

We've been to Coz during all different times of the year, and we really haven't been there when the weather WASN'T phenomenal. be prepared for some amazing diving. Obviously, you'll be doing boat dives (you can shore dive but there isn't a whole lot to see - one shore dive is plenty).

I wouldn't say Coz is more difficult because of the drift diving - it's just different and as long as you're prepared for that, you'll be fine. Dive low (close to the ocean bottom or contours) and dive slow (maintain really good buoyancy so you're not kicking to keep yourself off the bottom).

If you have other questions about Playa/Cozumel topside or diving, feel free to let me know! We go 2-3 times a year so are really familiar - you're going to have a blast.

Thanks Masks, that is uplifting to hear, we were a bit worried as some have said its not the best place to go for newer divers... so if you did it fine the first time then it gives me some re-assurance. Our local dive shop has said to use Palancar but we aren't set on a place as of yet. Should we book the dives from the hotel or just take the ferry over to Coz and make our way to the dive shop on the first day we want to go? I understand most of the boats leave at 9 so I'm guessing for the first day we would take the 7am ferry over? Do we have to take a cab to the dive shop or are they all within walking distance?

Sorry for all the questions!

depends what your concept of "within walking distance" is, Cozumel is a 28 mile long island, resorts and diveshops are scattered all over it

mayan riviera diving is 90% drift diving too, though the strength of the current varies
i would recommend giving it a try, it is our favorite place, been there twice this year

I have never dove with Palancar. But I have dove Palancar if that makes sense. Drift diving is easy just watch your buoyancy as you don't want to run into fragile corals or sponges. There are lots of shallow dive sites that don't go deeper than 60'. Just tell Palancar you guys want to take it easy for the first few days and they should help you out. Also, take a look at this link for lots of information. And just remember, the most important thing is, have fun!!!! B.

Cozumel Reefs - Dive Sites - Trip Reports - Videos - Pictures - Dive Shops - Cozumel Hotels - Cozumel Restaurants

I would say yes, you will need to take a cab to the dive shops - it should be around $6-7 and will only be a few minute drive. At Dive Paradise, the boats normally leave between 8 and 8:30. I would make your dive reservations before you come over, just to make sure you're set - you won't be guaranteed a spot on the boat if you don't reserve before. Also, you have choices between a big boat (with shade and a head (toilet)) or a small 6-pk style boat. The benefit of the small boat is you get to the dive site quicker, but there is no shade. We never go with 6-pk boats - we prefer the big boats (and by big, they rarely have more than 12 divers aboard - they take small groups).

No one mentioned the value of hiring a private DM for the first Coz dives? Money well spent...!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom