Safety stop/Deco stop .Whats the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over a few beers at the end of a few days diving a bunch of folks were chewing the fat.
We got to talking about new divers understanding of a safety vs a deco stop and the real world concequences of blowing either.
My question is for divers just starting out or with under 25 dives.
What is YOUR understanding of the difference between a safety stop and a deco stop?
Do you treat a safety stop as a deco stop and why?

While both are serving the same function, one is (in terms of necessity to avoiding DCS) theoretically required while the other is theoretically optional. In theory, you can blow off a safety stop in an emergency and have an acceptable risk of getting bent, but (again in theory) you cannot blow off a deco stop without taking an unacceptable risk of suffering a hit. In reality, some people do their safety stops and get bent anyway, or skip a significant deco obligation and are fine anyway, or skip a safety stop and get bent.

All dives are decompression dives, but some dives are more likely to get you bent if you don't complete suggested/required stops than others. As always, YMMV :wink:

To complicate matters, at least one agency (the big one) says certain safety stops are required.

Since everyone’s physiology is different, all the depth/time rules and computer algorithms are approximations. Each diver needs to decide how conservatively they will dive.

Safety stop= optional but not required. I always try to do a safety stop, however, if SHTF then I may skip it such as getting caught in a current and blown way away with no way to get back to the reef/wreck.

Deco stop= Required. Deco stops are planned ahead of time on a planned deco dive, not jumping in the water and blindly following a computer.

A recreational dive should not have any deco stops. If there are deco stops then that, in my opinion, is poor dive planning and executing. The whole point of recreational diving is to stay within ND limits so that the surface is accessible at any point without having to stop. Technical diving involves decompression stops and technical dives are planned out on a computer or tables before jumping in the water and executed with a BT or computer running the same algorithm. Too many divers believe that a safety stop is actually required when it is not, leading them to get in more trouble when they could have ascended and not had an issue.

SHHHHH you guys :) I wanted to hear what new divers thoughts on this were.

I qualify as a new diver :D
being overweight and in poor physical condition I religiously hold my safety stop as if it were a deco stop.
my computer runs DSAT without an added conservatism factor, so I rely on my safety stop + a creeping slow ascent from 5m to the surface.
[OT]I know my limitations and avoid places with currents, though I might miss out on some of the best sites worldwide. These destinations serve as a motivator to get into better shape ... [/OT]

My understanding from reading here and elsewhere

A deco stop is a planned stop to off gas after a technical dive, usually at multiple levels for varying amounts of time to reduce the possibility of getting bent from too much nitrogen in the body after a long or deep dive. A necessity

A safety stop is an extra measure for rec dives, maybe to slow the ascent of a new diver, get them used to checking above their heads before surfacing, get rid of any excess nitrogen just in case. A good habit to get into.

I'm a bit past the 25-dive mark, but still a relatively new diver, so I'll answer. My understanding has always been that a deco stop is required while a safety stop is optional but recommended (more highly so on longer and/ or deeper dives or repetitive dives). I treat safety stops as essentially mandatory except on very shallow and relatively short dives, but I wouldn't think too much about blowing one off if circumstances called for it. My very basic understanding of deco stops is that the trick is to go to great lengths in planning so that blowing one off or cutting one short is not something that should ever be necessary.

The Safety Stop is a 3-minute pause you do at roughly 1.5 atmospheres at the end of a dive.

The Deco Stop is an internet forum that you go to if you feel like getting verbally abused when you're not diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Since the newbies are tuned in I will add my pet peeve. After spending the requisite 3-5 minutes at 15-20 feet, the newbie then takes off for the surface or ladder because the dive is over. That last 15 feet is the greatest percentage pressure differential of the whole dive. It should be done SLOWLY! Take at least 30-45 seconds. Count them off if you don't believe me. And rise slowly, ever so slowly, to get to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom