This Surprised me. No Lessons over Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my wife and two daughters, all divers, are headed to Kona on Dec 26 to Jan 5. Two of their friends decided to join us. We convinced them that if they were coming, they better be ready to learn to dive. As my one daughter stated, going on a vacation with dad means were going underwater, ALOT. So called up a buddy instructor, got them in the pool and classroom, and started to book some diving. Then the problem started. A lot of the shops dont do training over christmas. We did end up at Jacks, but I was surprised when calling around. I would have thought this was a great money maker for the shops. Especially during the high tourist seasons!

What am I missing here? Why no training a lot of the shops. Jacks was the 4th shop I called.

Next time just keep flying for a mere four more hours and come see me at Naigani Island Resort in Fiji. We always have a DI on site and would be happy to do an OW class any time of the year. Great easy diving close to shore for newbies.

My guess is they are maxed out on the boats with "fun" divers. We have 5 full time instructors and scheduling courses can be tough. You want to be fair to the students and be able to give them a solid instructor for all 3 or 4 days of the course (hopefully, the SAME instructor). During the holidays this isn't always possible. I'm not saying it's right but from an operator perspective I can see why the policy is in place.

Not to worry...... your guys will be stoked! Let us know if you can squeeze in any wreck dives over here on Oahu!

G

Thanks CBM32, My wife and I are looking for Fiji trip in the following year, so you might hear from me. Scotitheduck, Oahu might be a next year trip as well. This one was focused on my daughters. Im finding now that they are in university, family time is precious to me, and if they are going to join us on vacation, I will suffer their itinerary wishes (as long as they dive with me a few times :)

Next time just keep flying for a mere four more hours and come see me at Naigani Island Resort in Fiji. We always have a DI on site and would be happy to do an OW class any time of the year. Great easy diving close to shore for newbies.
I can vouch for the quality of the diving at Naigani - I dived it on two separate trips about a decade back and was astounded by what I regard as teh best diving in Fiji (and I've dived Fiji about 20 times). Must get back to Naigani one day, and now with a dedicated Diver as manager, things are looking up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom