Attaching fins to BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do a fair amount of shore diving which involves going through a surf for entry.

I am considering attaching my fins to a BC D ring until I am through the surf and can then put the fins on. Currently I just carry them, but it could make things easier if you had a decent surf to deal with and did not have to concentrate on holding on to you fins.

I am looking for feedback from those that do, or even those that don't.

For those that do, what do you use?

Carabiner? If so, one or two?

Some type of clip? Akona Split Ring Clip | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I was in San Diego a little bit ago and a guy I dove with used clips. He had custom made it. There was a split ring attached to a shoulder D ring that had two male clips. On each of his fins he had the female clip attached to the spring straps of his F1's. I should have looked it over a little more in detail.

Any comments, positive or negative appreciated, and if you do attach for surf entries, what do you use?

You could clip them to your bc, just have to use a carabiner or clip and connect it to a side d ring and the fin strap or spring. Saw an instructor doing that last weekend, he had a DM teaching the class and he was at the surface with his fins on his bc. One student had a problem and he swam to him @20 ft with no fins, dumbass just trying to look cool! I know you don't have to have the snorkel on but have to have it with you but I'm pretty sure that's breaking the hell out of standards by not having fins on!!

I also do a lot of shore diving in SoCal and clip my fins to my BC especially when DM'ing because it frees up both hands to help get everyone through the surf. I Just use the Cetacea Fin Holder. It's under $10 and I have had it for 6 years and 700+ dives.

I also do a lot of shore diving in SoCal and clip my fins to my BC especially when DM'ing because it frees up both hands to help get everyone through the surf. I Just use the Cetacea Fin Holder. It's under $10 and I have had it for 6 years and 700+ dives.

Thanks for that. This one is a lot like what the diver I saw had made omn his own. Not sure on the attachment of this one to the fin strap. Looks like it must be velcro.

ft002_big.gif

When I do surf entries I just use the chest strap on my BC / Wing to hold my fin straps.

Have not done that for years but I am sure a carabiner on a D ring would work just as well

Actually, it probably isn't velcro. Looks like you take the fin starp and run it through the loops.

I use F1's and they have a nice loop to pull on and would really prefer it attached through that.

Might just go with SS carabiner.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2013 at 10:25 AM ----------

When I do surf entries I just use the chest strap on my BC / Wing to hold my fin straps.

Have not done that for years but I am sure a carabiner on a D ring would work just as well

That is a great idea though as in the end, you have nothing left to dangle.

You could try a stainless steel double ender - one end clips to BC the other end to your fins.

Just make sure to use a locking 'biner or put it in your pocket if it's not. Otherwise you will die when it gets a stray line trapped in it and drowns you.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Just make sure to use a locking 'biner or put it in your pocket if it's not. Otherwise you will die when it gets a stray line trapped in it and drowns you.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure my shears would make quick work out of that stray line.

But putting them in the pocket after donning the fins is not a bad idea.

I use a piece of 550 cord looped at each end. I pass it through the fin straps and Clip the loops to one end of a double ender. Then clip the other end of the double ender to a convenient D Ring. Simple and cheap.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom