Tekna DV-3X harness help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TONY CHANEY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Tomorrow is the first wet run for the scooter. Could someone with a past experience with a Tekna DV-3X please teach me how to rig a tow harness. I have seen some examples but most pertain to the Mako with the plates at the base of the handles with holes. I was planning on using 1/8" paracord which has a working load of 100 lbs. I have read that due to the cord being too thin it will not hold a prusik, Tautline Hitch or a Rolling Hitch knot (or what others want to call it). So I have an improved clinch knot for the left handle and the prusik for the right side. I figure that it will allow me to extend or decreased the length as needed. I will also use a snap bolt that can slide freely or do a single wrap in order to gain better control. Am I on the right track? Please advise.
Thanks!​

Last edited:
Thanks KL I might look into it. BTW I did edit my post to include the Tautline hitch as it is the same as what call a prusik hitch or knot.

1/8" cord is thin. 3/16 or 1/4" is more typical. Wrapping around the handles will be fine.

First time out? I would say leave the snap free sliding. I don't know anyone wrapping the cord through the boltsnap eye, but a few cave divers like their boltsnaps tied with cave line onto their preferred location on the cord. Since you don't know where that is and probably won't for awhile I'd leave it sliding.

Thanks and that was what I was going to do. Trip got canned so I am still waiting.

WHAT A BLAST TODAY!!! A buddy and I hit the quarry late in the afternoon and got kitted up for a first time for me and a second time for my buddy using a scooter. As for me, the dive started out well but I found that the Tenka was very nose light and I see that there is no need for the neoprene wrap. Without it it would have made the dive better. The paracord worked well except that the line was too thin, as stated by others, to hold the knot and it slipped off the handle several times when stopped. Not a great problem because I was looking for it to happen. Also, the harness does not need to be so long...and the closer I was too the scooter or even better over it, it made the dive very relaxing. I totally get the handle at 12 and 6 o'clock position concept. I just turned it sideways and it worked well. I also found out that it is best to get off the trigger at least 10' below your deco or saftery stop because you can change depths very fast with a scooter. I really need to add a depth guage and compass to the scooter. I also think that I will go with 1" webbing next time out. I think that I found the right length and see no need to adjust it on the fly.Thanks for all who helped me.​

Back
Top Bottom