Maui, Kaanapali 48 hour layover...diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaryM

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will hopefully be in Maui, Kaanapali, Black Rock on and off over the winter but only for 48 hours at a time. I would love to be able to do some Hawaiian diving! I'm new to the sport (certified OW PADI in Cozumel this summer) and will be by myself so I would like to ensure I'm with an awesome DM. What are my options? I would arrive on the island in the evening and would need to go out first thing the next morning in order to meet enhanced no diving prior to flight regulations. Any tips would be greatly appreciated:D

Call Lahaina Divers and ask for a DM to take you to Mala pier or Airport beach. You will have a great dive at either place.

Most Maui operators go out early because the wind comes up early pm and conditions can deteriorate. Try Extended Horizons on one of your 48 hour stop overs. They run out of Mala Wharf on the north side of Lahaina to the south shore of Lanai to dive The Cathedrals. Meet at the wharf at 6:30. Back at 12:15.

For boat dives, either Lahaina Divers or Extended Horizons are options in nearby Lahaina. Both will put a DM in the water with you - depending on group size, Lahaina Divers may have 2 per group - esp. with newer divers. EH only goes to Lanai, certain days Lahaina Divers runs one boat to Lanai and the other to Molokini. The two signature dives are the Cathedrals at Lanai and Molokini Crater. LD has a 7AM check-in and you're back by 12:30. Both also do shore dives but I believe it's in the afternoons.

You mentioned Black Rock - there's also a shallow dive there. The Sheraton has an on-site operator or you can enter via the golf course path north of it.

Another option might be Kapalua Dive Co. - they dive Kapalua Bay slightly north of there - among other spots. It's an easy, shallow, excellent dive. Tiny Bubbles is another option - shore diving in that area is all they do. Here's some details on nearby dive sites: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom