Best way to work on trim - feet sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingleton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I bought a new pair of F1 fins, knowing the were heavy. I've tried them out a few times and still can seem to get horizontal anymore. What is the best way to counterbalance and level out. I've tried moving the tank up a little. I put my weight in the trim pockets on back of my BCD near the tank, instead of hips... Any other suggestions to help.

Thanks

What BCD/Configuration are you diving?

If the feet are too heavy you can either move the tank higher in the BCD or add weights to the shoulders.

You can also bend your knees more. The further out behind you the fins are, the longer the lever arm is to drop your legs. Put your arms well out in front of you, too.

What BCD/Configuration are you diving?

If the feet are too heavy you can either move the tank higher in the BCD or add weights to the shoulders.

I own a Zeagle Stiletto, however since I'm in the market for a BP/W, i was trying out a HOG 32# and DiveRite harness when these fins. I move the tank up pretty high and put no weight on waist and a few pounds in the trim pockets around tank. I imagine it would be similar if not worse with my Zeagle..

I want to know how to correct before I buy a BP/W so if I need to modify it (i.e should weight pockets) I know before hand

---------- Post added November 19th, 2013 at 04:54 PM ----------

You can also bend your knees more. The further out behind you the fins are, the longer the lever arm is to drop your legs. Put your arms well out in front of you, too.

Thanks for point that out. B/c I have been trying to bend my knees more as I've been trying to learn the frog kick. it feel kind funny. but as i was trying to practice the frog kick, my feet kept sinking, so it was becoming frustrating. it seems as i was trying to bend my knees i would still tilt downward. lol.. i know it's gonna take some practice, but i wanted to get some advice on here to work on when i practice.

i was an athlete, so my legs happen to be pretty dense and muscular, so that probably isn't helping either

I have "sinking feet" too. I'm tall (6 4") and wear XXL Jet fins (HEAVY). What helps me is to bend my knees and arch my back a bit, and clasp my wrist out in front of me... this sort of a cross between "Superman" and a skydiver, well if Superman was middle-aged, receding hair and a pot belly... but I digress. Bending your knees and arching your back a bit puts you into "frog kick" position.

Bending your knees brings your feet and lower legs "forward" a bit in regards to your center of flotation (for many of us, our torso) and moving your arms forward also helps. This will help rotate your body to a more level trim.

For me this helps counter the sinking feet, and I generally can hold near-horizontal trim without too much problem... but if I straighten my knees my feet will again want to "sink" and I'll rotate out of trim.

Hope that helps.

There are a lot of threads addressing this. Like NetDoc mentioned, putting weights on your shoulders is a good method, especially easy w/ a BP/W. In single tank I dive like that. I'm 6'3" w/ muscular legs, so I have a similar issue. A 2lb-er on each shoulder strap does the trick.

Do a search and there are pictures of how to do this threading through the straps and bungie/tie wrapping as an alternative.

Are you using a crotch strap? The Stiletto is a great back inflate and it really dives differently with a crotch strap.

There ARE some gear configurations you just can't balance. If you're diving with little or no exposure protection and therefore require little or no weight, you have very little to play with. Heavy rubber fins are problematic with that kind of setup, which is why people who dive very warm water tend to gravitate toward other paddle fins, like OMS Slipstreams or Dive Rite EXPs, that are not as negative.

On the other hand, if you need weight, you can move it around; you may lose the ability to ditch any or all of it, though, and you have to decide if you are comfortable with that.

Trim is a function of the relative locations of the diver's center of lift (the point around which all those pieces and parts of the diver's body and rig that are positively buoyant are balanced) and the diver's center of weight (the point around which all those pieces and parts of the diver's body and rig that are negatively buoyant are balanced). Of course those points are dynamic - they move a little as the diver breathes, adds or removes gas from the BC or dry suit or counterlung, shifts gas in the dry suit (and even the BC - some are worse than others), uses gas from the tank(s), and with wet suit compression changes with depth.
If we can arrange things so that the center of lift and the center of weight are co-located, all is lovely, and we can remain in any position we desire without effort - pitch and roll forces will be non-existent no matter what position we choose, and remaining there is effortless.
However... getting those points together is seldom possible, and adjusting trim to make position maintenance easy can be very frustrating, even counter intuitive.
The first step to take in the trim adjustment process is to discover what the relative positions of these centers of weight and lift really are:
- establish neutral buoyancy, where able to control depth precisely with just breathing.
- while maintaining a constant depth, lock arms in position with hands together, and lock legs in position with feet crossed. DO NOT KICK or SKULL.
- WAIT - (yeah, it's a real PITA and very un-natural) - DON'T MOVE - until your position stabilizes in both pitch and roll. Where you end up may surprise you, especially if you're wearing (a) steel tank(s).
The position in which the body stabilizes will be with the center of lift directly above the center of weight, and now adjustments to the rig to improve trim can be made that make sense.
There are essentially two positions: on your belly or on your back. What to do depends on this "final position" and goes something like this...
If on your belly, then when in the prone position the center of lift is higher than the center of weight, and all the recommendations folks have made so far will make sense - to get the center of weight directly below the center of lift in the desired prone position is achieved by adding or shifting negatively buoyant stuff (like weights) towards the high end/side and/or shifting a positively buoyant item toward the low end until that balance is reached... the center of lift is directly above the center of weight when prone. This is a stable arrangement - any displacement from that position will naturally swing back toward it.
--
BUT, if the diver's stable position is somewhere on the back, we have an entirely different kettle of fish!
In this case, when prone, the center of lift is lower than the center of weight, and the trimmed out position will be where that center of lift is directly below the center of weight. This is both unstable (any displacement will continue to roll or pitch in the displaced direction until the diver has arrived at the lift-above-weight position), and staying in the trimmed position requires the diver to apply constant little balancing forces with fins - or, gasp!,hands - to keep the weight from "falling off the bubble" and adjustments to the trimmed position are precisely backwards from what seems right - that is, since the trimmed position is weight-directly-above-lift, if the diver's feet are low then it's because the center of weight is too far forward and the diver must add or shift weight toward the feet to get the feet up to the desired trimmed position.
And so forth...
Y'all have fun now, ye hear?
:)
Rick

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom