nikon coolpic 5000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
i currently have one of these on loan from Jessops, as my 5050 had to go back for the program button braking off and then Olympus braking the LCD screen in transit back to the shop.

Anyway the guy in the shop said that it was a better camera than the 5050, great i though because the 5050 is one hell of a camera.

after a couple of days trying to use the thing i am taking back as i would rather be without a camera than use it.

the menu system is not user friendly compared to the 5050 and you don't get to save RAW, it is JPEG or TIFF.

the flash is not as good as the 5050 and i am generally dissapointed with the camera, i would be even more dissapointed had i bought it.

Just goes to show the guys in the camera shops don't always know what they are talking about.

All i can say is........get your arse in gear Olympus and return my camera without any more faults!

I love my CoolPix 4500 awsome camera, now if I only could find a housing that I could afford for the darn thing.

Cheers

Amobeus

amobeus:
I love my CoolPix 4500 awsome camera, now if I only could find a housing that I could afford for the darn thing.

Cheers

Amobeus

thats cool that you like it, but like i said after 3 olympus cameras (working up through the camedia range) nothing compares to them.

my mate has the 4300 and the pictures are not very good on that either, quite dark (he ended up taking copies of al my photo's of when we were working in Italy).

clive francis:
the menu system is not user friendly compared to the 5050 and you don't get to save RAW, it is JPEG or TIFF.

Could it be that you found fault with the menu system due to your unfamiliarity with it? You did mention your previous THREE Olympus cameras, they probably have similar menu systems in place.
After having futzed with my new Canon, I find IT'S menu system superior to that for the Olympus 4000 and 4040. I definitely was not expecting THAT.

But the Sony really should have supported RAW file formats. What's up with that?

The cp5000 shoots in RAW if you have firmware 1.7 installed.

FWIW, I own an Olympus 4040 and a cp5000, both with Ike housings. I prefer the 4040 topside because of it's brighter flash and longer lasting batteries. I prefer the cp5000 underwater for it's wider native lens, wired strobes w/TTL if I choose, excellent macro and the excellent Nikon 19mm lens behind an Ikelite dome port.

To claim that one is better than the other is purely subjective. IMHO, both cameras are capable of excellent results in capable hands. It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

archman:
Could it be that you found fault with the menu system due to your unfamiliarity with it? You did mention your previous THREE Olympus cameras, they probably have similar menu systems in place.
After having futzed with my new Canon, I find IT'S menu system superior to that for the Olympus 4000 and 4040. I definitely was not expecting THAT.

But the Sony really should have supported RAW file formats. What's up with that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom