Update from Southern Leyte / Sogod Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elanarchist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
No major damage from Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda, thankfully no casualties in the entire province. Downed power lines should be back up in a week, some resorts have backup generators anyway. Fuel and food supplies are back to normal. The dive sites are all fine, as the bay is protected. The first whale shark sightings of the season were reported this week. Plenty of room on the dive boats. For getting here, the Tacloban airport isn't an option for now so taking a ferry from Cebu is the best route.

That's great news that no one was hurt and the reefs are undamaged.

How is the diving in December and January in Sogod? I heard that is was rainy season and rather washed out..?

Great to hear that. I was in the north surveying the damage to the power system Friday. The backbone lines will be up but there will continue to be issues until the transmission is rebuilt. Are you connected to Leyete 5? They seem to really have their act together. We took the ferry to Cebu and all was fine.

diving in december and january is great. another way to get to s leyte is through surigao, mindanao which you can reach by plane from cebu city. (while on mindanao visit the beach/surfing area of siargao.) take the ferry from surigao to maasin (3 hours), or for a little sight seeing take the ferry to east side sogod bay and take the bus around. s leyte is a little harder to get to than many other places on philippines, but well worth the extra effort.
i was on the last ferry off leyte the night before the typhoon. electricity and water were cut off, but have since been restored. enjoyed the stay at peter's, and they dive all over the bay including limasawa. after the typhoon they continued to dive, and ran on generator. peter's was good to us in other ways as well, and i recommend them, although all all the resorts have a good reputation. s leyte is under visited by divers.

s leyte is under visited by divers.
I like it this way!!! I can still remember how PG and Alona Beach were 16yrs ago. Mass tourism has detrimental effect on everything except to the developers.
Diving in Sogod Bay is very very good. All it needs is a big wreck. IJN Yamashiro, round the corner, is far too deep. Same applies to those WWII wrecks in Ormoc Bay. What a pity!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom