Where to go instead of Malapascua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xzit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I was supposed to start off a 4-week vacation with getting my AOW in Malapascua before moving on to Panglao and then Palawan. However, I doubt they'll be able to receive any tourists in Malapascua by the 16th December, which is when I'll arrive. So I have to make some changes to my route and I was hoping you had some tips on where to go instead? I land in Cebu on the 16th and will fly to Puerto Princesa (from Cebu) on the 28th. So basically I have 12 days in the Visayas islands.. any ideas on how to make the most of it?

Thanks!

I understood that they will have first dive operators back running in early december. Only a hearsay though so i suggest you confirm it from somewhere. If you find an operator to train you it would be great to do your little part in getting them back on their feet.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Hi there

I am going in early January and have been scrutinizing the face book pages of the resorts and shops...I understand that Thresher Shark Divers ,Sea Explorers , Evolution and Exotic are either open now or will be reopening very soon, so they will all be open by mid December. It really is a stunning island that could do with all the visitors it can get.

Best fishes x

Last edited:
I would still love to go to Malapascua. I was supposed to dive with Evolution Divers and I saw this post on their facebook page about a week ago:

We've a massive task to rebuild but we need you to come, the island and it's people needs your business. We hope Evolution will be 70% up and running by Christmas.

If they hope they'll be 70% operational by xmas, I suppose chances aren't so good that they'll be up and running by the 16th. That's why I'm looking for alternatives..

Hi All

Evolution will be operational by December 1. The 30% lacking will be our bar and restaurant which needs a complete rebuild. There are other restaurants on the island until then. Our dive shop is fine, we have two boats running and our main block of 12 rooms is fine. For sure we encourage people to come to Malapascua. The island is at full speed clearing up and repairing. Over all it will take some time but for some of the businesses mentioned in this post things will be as normal as possible very soon. The island's main economy is diving and without it then the typhoon will really cause damage.

Evolution has been diving this week already and we had probably our best dive at Monad a few days ago. We were the only boat at one of the most famous dive sites in the country and had non stop sharks. It is a pretty special time for divers here right now.

Send me an email and I can go through the situation with you in detail and hopefully allay any concerns you might have. The best support we can get after the typhoon is customers coming and having a good experience on the island that survived the biggest storm ever.

Hi All

Evolution will be operational by December 1. The 30% lacking will be our bar and restaurant which needs a complete rebuild. There are other restaurants on the island until then. Our dive shop is fine, we have two boats running and our main block of 12 rooms is fine. For sure we encourage people to come to Malapascua. The island is at full speed clearing up and repairing. Over all it will take some time but for some of the businesses mentioned in this post things will be as normal as possible very soon. The island's main economy is diving and without it then the typhoon will really cause damage.

Evolution has been diving this week already and we had probably our best dive at Monad a few days ago. We were the only boat at one of the most famous dive sites in the country and had non stop sharks. It is a pretty special time for divers here right now.

Send me an email and I can go through the situation with you in detail and hopefully allay any concerns you might have. The best support we can get after the typhoon is customers coming and having a good experience on the island that survived the biggest storm ever.

I was in touch with David from Evolution earlier today and he went through everything with me. From what he told me I don't see any reason not to go, so will be heading there as planned :)

Thanks for the quick response!

You'll enjoy Malapascua, I'm sure of it. You're in good hands with Evolution as well - professional, knowledgeable, hospitable, the list goes on.

It is unfortunate that the bar and restaurant suffered so much damage. I highly recommend the fare that was coming out of that kitchen. Greatly looking forward to my next visit and the rebuild. Being a former resident of Toronto, I know how difficult it is to find a good Craic House in Asia !!
:cheers:

Thresher Shark Divers is operational as well as a couple of the resorts. I'm going to be there on Dec 17 and have confirmed this with the ops. Much of the island will still be rebuilding and power may not be available 24/7. Power will at least be available for 12 hours overnight.

The best support we can get after the typhoon is customers coming and having a good experience on the island that survived the biggest storm ever.

We could not agree more! Great news that you are back in the water and will soon be fully operation once gain.

Best wishes from all at the Siren Fleet

Back
Top Bottom