Female Divers- Past and Present

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Next month at the History of Diving Museum I will be giving a presentation about women divers. While I have been interested in female divers and their role in the development of diving and as modern pioneers in the field, I would hate for my research to be incomplete. I am rather nervous about doing this topic justice, so I'm not above asking for help.

I figured the best place to go to find out about divers was a forum of divers. :) I would love to hear about what female divers you think have been pioneers, leaders, or otherwise exemplary in the diving world. If you know of books or other places that I may find information, I would love to hear about those too! I know the Women Divers Hall of Fame roster was a great start, but I am always eager to hear more.

Many thanks in advance!

Alyssa
alyssa@divingmuseum.org

Leni Riefenstahl. A German film maker (Triumph of the Will) who learned to scuba dive in her mid-70s, published books of her UW photographs, continued diving and taking superb photographs well into her 90s. She died in 2003, age 99.

Go ahead and check out that website, but it will be full of names that nobody knows.

In my mind, no list would be complete without

Leni Riefenstal, who I believe may still own the record being the oldest scuba diver

and her deepness, Sylvia Earle

R..

Back
Top Bottom