Running My Drysuit Tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, maybe too tight. This is with a decent thickness fleece layer underneath (good into the 50s).

Surprisingly, it didn't feel bad. The neck seal also doesn't feel too tight and has already been trimmed for surface comfort.

Nonetheless, marks all over my chest, armpits, and neck.

001.jpg

Running tight when in a head down entry to prevent floaty feet is understandable but once you get horizontal there is no reason to run that tight. And tight enough to leave marks is way too tight.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

I get those marks but worse looking than this when I wear my drysuit. What causes this effect?

I get those marks but worse looking than this when I wear my drysuit. What causes this effect?

My guess would be that if you are diving a laminate dry suit which is a little generous in proportions the symptoms you are experiencing are caused when the air in the suit compresses and you get ridges formed where the material puckers. Particularly where these form near your joints, or where you have equipment over the top, they tend to press in on your skin and cause pressure marks and they will also dig in if you do not put enough air in the suit to compensate for the squeeze.

Undergarments will reduce it to a certain degree, as will putting air in the suit to offset the squeeze as you descend. You can also get a similar effect in a neoprene drysuit, but it is nowhere near as common as neoprene suits tend to fit a bit more closely and not have so much bag.

Phil.

Last edited:
Ah drysuit hickies! :) I remember getting a few of those during my early drysuit dives.

I run a bit of gas in my suit. It's a dry suit...not a Food Saver.
Put enough gas in, to allow the undergarment to loft.

That's the thing, I do not let it squeeze me that much. I always put air in it and I have thick garments for deco here on the lakes. It's a DUI Bare and I've had it for almost 7 years.

I used to get those all the time in my original undies, basically a set of poly long johns and a fleece/shell suit from Viking. I recently bought a reeeeel thick set of Bare undies and have yet to get a drysuit hickey. I believe it's a matter of the formation of creases in the undies leading to a local squeeze condition.

Back
Top Bottom