Ni'Hau - what is typically THE best month to go? Plus a couple Kauai questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qwimjim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, a few questions for those that have a minute:

1. I've read a lot of threads but still have trouble figuring out the answer to this question. I know the season usually goes from late april/early may to end of september but is there one month that is typically the "best" time to go?

2. Also for those who've been several times, if you had to choose between going in May or September, which would be the better choice? I don't know if it helps but I'm not so much interested in little critters or rare species.. I haven't seen 99% of what the ocean has to offer so it's all new to me. I've been diving in Zanzibar and Dahab, other than that it has always been freshwater lakes in Canada which has lots of wrecks but little life. I'm most interested in seeing large aquatic life.. bigger the better :) Whales, Whale Sharks, Sharks, Dolphins, Seals, Turtles, Rays, Big Fish, etc..

3. If I were to spend 3 days diving in Kauai, besides one day at Ni'Hau, would a good choice for the other two be Mana Crack and Sheraton Caverns? We'd have about a week or so on Kauai but want to do a few hikes too. We'd spend a week or so on the Big Island as well where it seems the Manta Ray night dive is a must, the black water Pelagic Magic, and snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay?

Thanks!

We were there a couple years ago in mid August. I did 3 days of "local" boat dives with Seasport, Niihau, a guided dive at Tunnels and a guided dive at Koloa Landing. I can't tell you what other months are like but the day we went to Niihau it was a great ride there and back. In fact the swells during the boat dives on days prior were worse on me than that trip to Niihau. Sheraton was a cool dive, great to see all those turtles! Koloa was a great dive too, if you have a great guide to point out / find fun stuff (if Anthony is still doing it - he's THE MAN!) The highlight was a dragon moray in a coral head that just wouldn't cooperate for pictures - not that we didn't try! Otherwise the other south end boat dives kind of ran together. All were good with the two mentioned being the best. Tunnels was decent. The guide kinda ruined it for me (used a different shop than Seasport as they don't do Tunnels). Being used to Caribbean diving and marine parks with their no glove rules I sure now do understand why. Between a few of the the colder water Cali divers and the Tunnels guide they treated the reef like a prom date - groping the heck out of it, writing on the back of sea cucumbers, pulling spanish dancers off the wall trying to get them to "dance", etc.

But without question the highlight of the trip was Niihau. We we get back there (and we will eventually) I'd give up two-three days of local boat dives to do Niihau twice. Truly stunning dives. Unspoiled. Glorious. Beautiful. Seasport is HIGHLY recommended. It's a long day but WOW it's worth it!

Patience my friend. Some things just come on Hawaiian time....

Hah no worries

But without question the highlight of the trip was Niihau. We we get back there (and we will eventually) I'd give up two-three days of local boat dives to do Niihau twice. Truly stunning dives. Unspoiled. Glorious. Beautiful. Seasport is HIGHLY recommended. It's a long day but WOW it's worth it!

So is Ni'ihau "great" or "better than great, so good that if you're only going to come once in the next few years, you should wait until you can go during the months the trips to Ni'ihau are running"? I imagine I would only have 3 days to dive during our week in Kauai when we do eventually go, if I was to do as you suggested and go to Ni'ihau on dive days 2 and 3, what would you recommend for warm up/day 1? Thanks!

I went to Niihau last June with seasport divers and it was the best diving I have ever done. Lots of critters, including sharks and monk seals, and 100 feet of viz. it is a 3+ hour trip there and back but well worth it. I spoke to a guy on a boat in California who said he was cancelled twice, but I don't know what month it happened. I highly recommend the dives.

Back
Top Bottom