Large school of whitefish spotted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underH2Oman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was diving in Colpoys Bay today and ran into a large school of whitefish. It may have been several hundred. I have not seen a school this large in years. Has anyone else seen a large school like this? I am curious if this may be more common in some areas.

Where have you seen large schools of fish?

Wow. Sounds very neat. Where exactly in the bay? How deep? I've never seen a school of whitefish but it would be a fantastic sight to see. And would be nice to have a few in the frying pan too.

In April of 2012, we went diving in the straits. I just gotten bent the previous dive, so I did a shallow dive on the Barnum. There must have been a few thousand whitefish swimming in the hull. I stayed shallow and watched overhead as they swam about and went over the hull. It looked like a silver waterfall when they went over the sides. On the Wexford there was a decent size group in May.

Dean, you are lucky! Next time I'm in Colpoys Bay I will likely see one lone gobi lol.

Wow. Sounds very neat. Where exactly in the bay? How deep? I've never seen a school of whitefish but it would be a fantastic sight to see. And would be nice to have a few in the frying pan too.

I was diving in the shallow section of the Bay just north of the boat launch on Bayview St. in Wiarton. They were swimming along the shoreline in about 15 ft of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom