Diver magazine article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curtis Dawson

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished an article in the latest Diver magazine(volume 38 number 8) titled "Dive training Today A Perspective" by Bret Gilliam. I encourage both students and instructors to read this article and think long and hard about what the author has to say. It might save a life.

Good article, and interesting.

Since it's noted the author founded a number of agencies including SDI, I wonder how SDI basic OW training compares to, say, SSI or PADI basic OW training?

I realize founded doesn't necessarily mean they currently follow his present philosophy.

I took an SDI Solo Diver course, but that's all my experience with them.

Richard.

Good read. Brett highlights a number of areas on concern for both divers and the diving industry. Much of it confirms the sentiments expressed by others on this forum particularly regarding diver training. Brett obviously has the credentials to talk on the subject authoritatively.

I'm yet to be convinced about the merits of rebreathers for the average diver. My impression is they're dangerous and expensive.

Good read. Brett highlights a number of areas on concern for both divers and the diving industry. Much of it confirms the sentiments expressed by others on this forum particularly regarding diver training. Brett obviously has the credentials to talk on the subject authoritatively.
I don't think his credentials will help with the "dive training has never been better" crowd, no one else's seems to have made a difference in other discussions.

I'm yet to be convinced about the merits of rebreathers for the average diver. My impression is they're dangerous and expensive.

I'm with you on the expensive part, as for dangerous, just think about getting on the highway to the dive site.

Bob
-----------------
I may be old but I'm not dead yet.

As someone certified in 2013, this really resonates with my experience obtaining my first two certs. Having enrolled in my advanced class but not feeling like I had enough basic experience, I rescheduled so I could get more dives under my belt before taking the next step in training. Although I had under 20 dives, a rep from the dive shop strongly encouraged me to do the advanced class asap, as it was, so she said, merely an extension of basic OW. I may have the certificate, but I'm not so gullible as to consider myself advanced after only 30 dives.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom