Shooting Macro with Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8 D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do you prefer Manual or auto-focus? I have a great focus light (i-Torch Pro 6) and I had great result with AF. Lot of people seams to prefer MF but would like to know what do you think. I forgot to mention that I have a Nikon D7100.

Envoyé depuis mon SM-T310 avec Tapatalk 4

I have always used auto focus. A focus gear is needed for manual. I have never bothered. Such a thing could come in handy especially for really precise focus. Now getting true macro with the 60, a 1 to 1 image size on the sensor, is generally not practical because you need to get very close with this lens to achieve macro. It does do close ups well. For macro, you really need the 105 macro lens. I think for most applications, the 60 is more useful.

I use the 60 with a 1.4 teleconverter and +10 diopter. I always use auto focus.
WhitePoint24_zps49d972be.jpg

Auto for me too. Nikon D90, previously D70.

I do not shoot with a nikon camera or lens, but a "competing camera brand".
However my take on it is this..

Shooting sharp, focused images under water is much more challenging than above and even more so if you shoot anything moving.
High-end DSLR cameras (the D7100, although not top-end is definetly high-end) tend to have fast, accurate autofocus and they also tend to have a "focus tracking" mode (whatever they call it between the different manufacturers) that makes sure if you or what you focus on change the distance, the autofocus follow suit, and thats something I like to take advantage of :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom