Hand signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I usually dive with more advanced tech divers so this isn't usually isn't an issue as it's covered during the plan, but I've started to dive with a new stubborn buddy who seemed to ignore the plan that was discussed prior and skipped the 5 metre stop after we turned and called the dive. Is there a hand signal to use to show prior that we're heading up but to stop at 5 m?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about one hand giving the thumb up (ascend) under the downwards-facing palm (level off) of your other hand, then holding the "level off" sign and show five fingers (alternatively, a fist if you're using three-finger gloves)? I'd interpret that as "surface, but stop at five".

Another alternative is making an upward motion with a horizontal hand and a downwards-facing palm (ascend, but don't call the dive), holding the "level off" sign and showing five fingers with your other hand. For me, just the ascend sign and then the number would be how many meters my buddy wanted to ascend, but holding the level off sign together with the number ought to get the message through to me.

I'm used to the ascent sign followed by the level off sign, which to me is a flat hand palm down waved ever do dlightly back and forth. Generally, we follow that with a finger flash of how long the stop will be but in those instances depth has been determined prior to bailing off the boat.

Cheers like I said when I'm with a normal cooperative diver it's usually the ascend signal and then as we go up together when one of our depth gauges hit the agreed planned depth it's a level off signal, the particular diver I give the ascend signal and we go up, however they continue to go up and ignore the depth... Usually they're above me when I level off to what the plan was.... Last time they skipped the ss and waited at the surface for me and wanted to know what happened.... :| ... Further to that the Diver is an in law and my wife encourages me to include them hence that's why I continue to dive with them

I usually dive with more advanced tech divers so this isn't usually isn't an issue as it's covered during the plan, but I've started to dive with a new stubborn buddy who seemed to ignore the plan that was discussed prior and skipped the 5 metre stop after we turned and called the dive. Is there a hand signal to use to show prior that we're heading up but to stop at 5 m?

I would tend to use a series of signs.

I would probably sign something like this:

1) "slope up" (hand moving up like an airplane taking off)
2) "remember" (finger pointing to temple and twist)
3) "level out"
4) "5m"
5) "ok"

and then at 5m I would stop him with

6) "stop"
7) "level out"
8) "safety stop"

R..

image.jpg

This is is similar to what we use except that the 3 fingers would be touching the underside of the flat hand. Signifying a 3 minute stop at the agreed depth (usually 15-20ft)

Further to that the Diver is an in law and my wife encourages me to include them hence that's why I continue to dive with them

there's the problem!!!!

if I had to dive with my inlaws..... Well let's just leave that unsaid.

View attachment 171900

This is is similar to what we use except that the 3 fingers would be touching the underside of the flat hand. Signifying a 3 minute stop at the agreed depth (usually 15-20ft)

Follow with a 5 = 3min safety stop and 5 meters
Thats how we were trained back in OW

Back
Top Bottom