Sidemount Diving Equipment: Tank Band Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deviance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the process of building my sidemount kit and I am currently looking for a tank band. I personally love the scubapro style tank band (this type)

scubapro_21095.jpg

and I would love to be able to continue using this style of tank band while sidemounting. My justification for using the scubapro style tank-band is simply because they are quicker. I can just loosen and open the tank band and mount it onto another tank without having to slide the whole tank band off the empty tank. Also, I still couldn't quite remember how to do the 1, 2, 3 weaving for the other type.

However, I was reading over scubatechphilippines note's section on tank bands/ cam bands and it didn't mention anything about quick release tank bands like the scubapro ones.

http://scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/sidemount-diving-techniques/#Cam-Bands

Are the traditional type of cam bands like (this type)

1.5-inch-cambands_51.jpg

preferred over scubapro style ones for sidemounting or am I just over-thinking?

Also, are there any real issues associated with scubapro style tank bands that I might have overlooked?

One thing is how your leashes get held onto your camband. Normally a triglide is slid over your camband strap and your knotted leash is placed through the gap in the tri-slide.....there's no good way of doing that on the Scubapro cambands, is there?

Why not just use SS hose clamps, maybe $6 a piece. Just buy 4 of them and you are still cheaper than cam bands.

I like the Scubapro type. I love being able to switch the Pony from tank to tank quick without tools.

I built my sidemounts out of parts from older BCD's I got off craigslist (8 older but usable BCD's for 50.00) I used the tank straps to build my Pony Bottle mounts.

Here's a few pics, hope it helps.

KIT 2.jpgKIT 12.jpgKIT 15.jpg

Why not just use SS hose clamps, maybe $6 a piece. Just buy 4 of them and you are still cheaper than cam bands.

That's what I do, it works great, It costs me about 15.00 to build my mounts. They aren't high tech but they have worked fine with no problems for years.

here's the stuff I use to make mine.

KIT (1).jpg

The only concern I can see is if the SP camband isn't fastened on tight enough and it pops open. And this is very unlikely. I use SP style cambands on my rebreather cylinders. Use what works for you. Just make sure you understand any possible drawbacks. Regardless of which method I use (I use different style cambands depending on the cylinder), I usually run some innertube over the band to keep line from getting caught in it or from the band getting caught up on anything else.

One thing is how your leashes get held onto your camband. Normally a triglide is slid over your camband strap and your knotted leash is placed through the gap in the tri-slide.....there's no good way of doing that on the Scubapro cambands, is there?

Sure there is. Scubapro cambands can easily accommodate triglides.

Thanks for the correction, Rob. I just figured with hardware on both ends there was no way of sliding triglides on there.

The width of a camband (scubapro and non-scubapro) are all 2 inches. As long as I can find a 2 inches tri-slide, I shouldn't have any problem sliding it onto the camband.

But thankyou for reminding me to pick up some tri-slide as well.

I don't own my own tank and I want tool-less dis-assembly. Plus, if I go on a scuba vacation (ex: Maldives), I felt that using hose clamps would be quite inconvenient for the boat crews who are changing my tank.

If you look at the pics above closely you'll notice the "ring" end of the band is simply threaded through a loop that's secured by velcro. The velcro is held tight in place on the inside when you secure the camband on the cylinder.

However, I was reading over scubatechphilippines note's section on tank bands/ cam bands and it didn't mention anything about quick release tank bands like the scubapro ones.

Sidemount Diving | Course Notes | Advanced Scuba

Are the traditional type of cam bands...preferred over scubapro style ones for sidemounting or am I just over-thinking?

I didn't differentiate in the article, simply because there are so many variants of cam-bands on the market. Delrin versus Steel, 'low-profile' or thinner options etc etc

Also, are there any real issues associated with scubapro style tank bands that I might have overlooked?

The only real issue I'd envision applies specifically to confined/overhead environment sidemount use. That'd be a potentially greater risk of entanglement and/or accident release of the cam band; should it make contact with guidelines/in restrictions etc. For open water only sidemount use, I'd say that the choice was acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom