Help! Cannot reach valves with thick undergarments!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tried diving with drysuit with 4th element drybase & arctic undergarments this week and discovered I've lost a lot of mobility.

Due to the amount of material at the elbows, I cannot reach my valves (single tank). I did not have this problem with a 3mm wetsuit before.

What are my options without spending lots of money to get another set of undergarments? Thanks!

Cut holes on the inside of the elbows on the thicker of the undergarments. You'll lose a bit of warmth but not much and it will mean less material stopping your elbow from closing.

Sidemount

Like that will be cheaper than another set of undergarments.

Com'on Steve, you're responses are usually much better than that.

4th Element underwear is some of the least bulky stuff on the market.

More than likely, your drysuit is binding somewhere

My guess would be that your dry suit is too short.
4th element garment are very comfty and not binding movement, so problem lies elsewhere. Try to rent and put on different dry suit, bigger size and then reach your valves.

How much addtional reach do you need? Have you considered moving the cylinder up in the bands?
Careful to not move it too far, you still want to be able to tilt your head back to see where you're going.

A low tech solution…pull your waist belt buckle followed by pulling the tank up higher. If all else fails this will get you to your valves and with practice, rather quickly.

Can you bend your elbows sufficiently with just the undergarments on? If so, you'll need to get a drysuit that fit correctly. (Not what you want to hear, I imagine.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom