Correct Regulator Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So Al and I are going diving at Fantasy lake today. This is a quarry. Dive shop at quarry has been closed for several years. Owner (Doay) lives next to quarry. Air is 43. Water is 53. We get suited up and into the water and Al informs me that his computer has died. There is an E8 error message and the battery that was 70% yesterday is now dead. Now we really don't need the computer since we know we will be within NDL but this also means that he has no way to monitor his air supply and we are not willing to dive without tracking air supply.

After checking over the phone and confirming that E8 is really death we think about it for a minute. Al goes up to the house and asks Doay (sp) if there is a reg available. He is lent one at no charge.

Correct Fantasy Lake regulator service goes as follows.

1. Wipe the layers of dust and dirt off the regs.

2. Hook to tank and confirm the air pressure reads correctly.

3. Breath on the primary reg spitting out any dust sucked in.

4. Try the secondary reg. No joy. No air flows.

5. Push purge. Reg freeflows.

6. Turn reg upside down and hit a couple times and some sand falls out and free flow stops.

7. Breath again but still does not flow.

8. Peer inside and see some clay/sand down inside.

9. Take screwdriver push inside and chop at clay/sand.

10. Turn upside down and shake as a pile of clay and insect parts fall out.

11. Repeat steps 9, 10 until nothing more falls out.

12. Get bottle of water, pour into mouth piece and shake and pour out the dark brown muddy water.

13. Repeat step 12 about 6 times until the the water runs out somewhat clear.

14. Breath on regulator and confirm that it now works.

15. Alter dive plan so that we do not go deeper than 30 ft.

16. Have a nice 46 minute dive.

Lets drop the suspense and tell us who made the reg. Not that most wouldn't make the comeback for you, it's life support don'tcha know.

Bob
-------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

That sounds about right. Glad you guys were able to save the dive. Hope to see you there New Years day.

if I was Al I would swap the air integrated computer for the regs with dirt in.

For any new divers reading this thread, I will note that when we went in the water Al had two functioning regulators and the one requiring removal of the mud dauber nest was his backup. I also verified that he knew how to breath off a free flowing reg. We were also a buddy pair and in event of a free flow would have just thumbed the dive, done a safe ascent, and done a short swim back. Our dive plan was a loop and would return us to the start point with about 1500 psi left so a free flow would not result in sudden loss of most air.

Last edited:
Lets drop the suspense and tell us who made the reg.

Happened to have dinner on Thanksgiving with the previous shop owner who is not Doay. He said the rental regs were all high end Aeris.

WOW. The good old adapt, improvise, and over come rings true here. LOL. At least you had a good dive. What the heck right? B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom