Warm Feet in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkymn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Thanks to the great package deal that White's had going on, I'm the proud owner of a Fusion One dry suit.

The suit came with 3mm neoprene socks. Would people recommend wearing those over the feet first, and then some sort of smart wool type sock over that? (Or vice versa?) If so, how thick should the socks be? I might be trying an ice dive this winter and the water would definitely be cold.

Also, is there a brand/type of sportswear that people would recommend wearing under the MK2 Undergarment that came with it? Has anyone tried the MK 0?

Fourth element arctic socks, that you wear under the 3mm neoprene boot. you need a rockboot (or cheaper alternative. i use knock off converse all stars).

If it's real cold under 45 degrees I will wear the 3mm neoprene socks next to my skin and then thick thorlo hiking socks on top.

Other wise I just wear the thick hiking socks only.

I tried using the 3mm socks only in cold water but it was too cold. The combination of neoprene socks and hiking socks works well for me without too much bulk.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 03:00 PM ----------

under my undergarment I have underarmor cold pants and a columbia cold baselayer shirt.

I only wear those when the water is in the 40's. Or if the water is in the 70's I will wear those instead of the undergarment.

Fourth element arctic socks, that you wear under the 3mm neoprene boot. you need a rockboot (or cheaper alternative. i use knock off converse all stars).

It came with the boots, so luckily I don't need to buy any of those. :) Will research those socks you mentioned, thanks!

Believe it or not, during the cold months here in the NE, I slide a hand-warmer packet between crew socks and the dry socks from Whites. You can usually find them on sale at a sporting good store. I've had them for under $1 a pair and I scoop them all up. They seem to last several hours so at least two tanks worth.

I dive a Whites Fusion suit with Fusion boots. For really cold water (3*C/37*F) I use Whites Glacier MK3 socks on top of thin, moisture wicking socks (no cotton). These I use only to protect the Glacier socks. Very warm, indeed. For temperatures >10*C/50*F I use the 3mm neoprene socks which came with the suit on bare feet. It is warm enough, too, but on bare feet they become sweaty. Perhaps some thin socks would protect them.

I wear the MK0 as the base layer under Thermal Fusion and am very satisfied. It takes all the sweat, so I didn't have to wash my thick undergarments for two years. It is comfortable, easy to wash and dry, and offers enough modesty to wear it on the shore before donning or after doffing the suit. Loops for feet and thumbs are helpful. The zippered relief flap is a really good idea. I have used it as the only undergarment during warm water dives. Works OK. Good luck! :)

Believe it or not, during the cold months here in the NE, I slide a hand-warmer packet between crew socks and the dry socks from Whites. You can usually find them on sale at a sporting good store. I've had them for under $1 a pair and I scoop them all up. They seem to last several hours so at least two tanks worth.

i have heard about people getting bad burns with them while diving. i do not know if it is true, but theoretically it seems plausible.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 07:19 PM ----------

i have a waterproof D1 and it is very warm i don't need much on under it. i will buy the dry glove set up with it though, and those thick thorlo hiking socks 00wabbit was talking about.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 07:49 PM ----------

i found this http://membership.uhms.org/resource/resmgr/safety_docs/air_activated_warmers_raleig.pdf although they used 95% O2 if nitrox was used you could see higher temps.

I was going to suggest this. do they make any regenerative ones these days? my girlfriend used to have one in each glove and 2 in each boot when skiing, they really do work.

Back
Top Bottom