Palau Yap Truk on budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaFox

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any advice on how to get the most value for money in Micronesia. Ie. the most no of good dives / longest stay for the least cost.

We live in Japan and every option from here seems extraordinarilly expensive, and usually only 4-5day trips.

We can go to any one or more of the above locations, whichever has the most to see for the least cost.

Many thanks in advance

The only Scheduled Airline that serves ALL THREE of those islands (and several others) is Continental Airlines / Air Micronesia .... they serve Yap/Palau 5 days a week and Chuuk 3 days a week.
I know there are Japanese tour operators that regularly book blocks of seats on these flights under the name "Resort Shuttle".
You might also try http://www.mdaguam.com . They have a tour booking operation that does all three of those islands.... they might be able to help you out.

IN any case, you'll also get the chance to dive Guam, if you wish.

Well, I am a student missionary at the SDA school on the island and I've really only dove with Beyond the Reef. I just got my AOW three weeks ago and am planning on working on some more specialties. The head DM is Dave. Really nice guy. BtR is alot smaller then Yap Divers. I like this cause its not as crowded and its more personal, infact I am going on two dives tomarrow. The guys at YD are pretty nice. They have a newer DM there. French guy by the name of Andre. Real cool guy. Some of my friends took the OW from him and they said they learned alot. The big difference is do you wanna go big or small. Both are good spots and around the same prices.
As for places to stay, I have no idea. I live at the school and have never stayed at the more expensive hotels, teachers wage. But what I do know is, Pathways restaurant has really good food. Try the sweet and sour fish, they even have vegitarian sanwiches if you want one.
Most of the beaches are privately owned, but you just need to ask permission. There is one hotel that I've been at that has a nice beach and that's Village View. I think they also have a diving place there, but have never been.
Have fun in Yap. The people are wonderful, I know I'll miss them, very much, when I leave.

Bill

P.S. If you walk through a village carry a branch and walk single file.

Flights are actually not so expensive and it is possible to get (anywhere) there from Japan with just 25k NW miles using Continental Micronesia. Very reasonable.

The problem is we have no idea how/where we can get good accomodation prices with easy access to the best diving sites.

Perhaps we need to get a livaboard but they seem to be much more costly than other places we have been in Asia Pac.

Unless there are cheaper options we havent heard of ? Ideas anyone ?

DeepSeaFox:
Flights are actually not so expensive and it is possible to get (anywhere) there from Japan with just 25k NW miles using Continental Micronesia. Very reasonable.

The problem is we have no idea how/where we can get good accomodation prices with easy access to the best diving sites.

Perhaps we need to get a livaboard but they seem to be much more costly than other places we have been in Asia Pac.

Unless there are cheaper options we havent heard of ? Ideas anyone ?

My trip report is being drafted, but 7 of us just returned from 1 week in Yap and 1 week on the BBE in Palau. Current price is $1899 (we booked last year and saved $200) and I don't think there is any cheaper way to go on a per dive basis. If you dive every available dive, there are 31 dives Sat-3, Sun-5, Mon-5, Tues-5, Wed-5, Thurs-5, Friday-3. Dive sites are 5 mins from the boat. Basically you are either diving, eating, or sleeping....or do I like I did and skip a night dive or two and sit on the bow and stare at the stars in a warm breeze drinking your favorite libation.

The price includes everything but alcohol, nitrox, and tip. I'd say we spent at least that much in Yap for fewer dives -- and Palau is probably the best diving in the world (that ought to get a few responses, but I think most would agree that its in the top 3 places in the world).

hi
dived palau/yap in june 03. it is allmost inpossible to do these destinations in an ecconomic way.
flights should be no problem out of japan. look also into a detour via taiwan. as far as i know they have flights direct in to koror.

if you stay in koror, you have long boat rides every day (up to 1 hour 1way). i stayed at the carp resort, a small island just oposite of peleliu. it is very famous by japonese folks. if you want to get a break from japonese behaivoirs its not the right place.

however in my opinion its about the best place to stay. bungalows are very basic, no ac just fan. had to ask for a blanket for early morning hours. sandy beaches, japonese food.

diving is just minutes away. however boat, gides and tanks are comming from koror daily.

with the current ecconomic situation, ask for best quote or shop arround for package deals (dive clubs guam?)

swisstrav

From Japan, it will be a bit pricey to dive Palau, Yap, and Chuuk. You might consider checking out Saipan as a less expensive an much closer destination, with possibly a side trip to Chuuk. I lived on Saipan from '86 to 2000, and logged over 650 hours underwater mostly on Saipan, with several trips to Chuuk, Palau, and Yap. One advantage to Saipan is that there is no need to pa for boat dives as the shore diving is excellent. I'd recommend you hook up with Rick Northern at Stingray Divers. Water temp is in the 80's ear round, with 100'+ vis. The best dive on the island is the Grotto; I dove it over 400 times while living there and never got bored. It's a huge pool inside a sinkhole accessed by a loooooong stone stairs. the pool goes to around 80' deep and has 3 tunels leading out to the ocean, with walls, caverns, dropoffs, lots of seafans, all kinds of fish, etc. If you do a night dive there, there are dozens of resident turtles that sleep inside and outside. The best time of year to go is in June or July, when the trade winds die down. This makes it a bit hotter, but allows access to sites like Banzai cliff which are normally too rough to dive at other times. If you don't mind a long walk over jaged rocks, the shore access is pretty dramatic, with a jump-in entrance through a hole in the roof of a cave for the daring, or a step off the shelf which is actually the roof of a cavern into 80' deep water, which quickly slopes to 125' at the corner of a dramatic wall. There's also some WWII junk that was dumped off the cliff there. Another little known good shore dives accessable only at that time of year is off San Vicente Village. I don't know if the operators take people there, but Rick might remember it; some people used to call it John's dropoff when I lived there, since I was the one that kinda discovered it. Again, it involves a worthwhild clamber down an steep overgrown rocky trail over the cliff down to the shelf where you step off for your entry. If you're not looking for a fancy resort, you can book a fairly reasonable room at a hotel like the Ocean View, but Rick will probably have recomendations. The island has been in recession since the late 90's so the prices should be reasonable and dive sites not too crowded. If you are more interested in local culture and sights than nightlive and tourest stuff, you'll do fine. A lot of the tourest oriented businesses have closed down in the last 5 years.

As for Chuuk, contact Gradfin Aisek or his sister Gardenia Walter at the Blue Lagoon dive shop and resort. They were personal friends, so I usually stayed at their homes, and didn't therefor spend much time in the hotels there. But compare prices at other hotels like the Truk Stop as far as accomodations. You shouldn't need to rent a car, as locals will give you a lift in their "taxi" pickup trucks cheap- it was only 50 cents to go anywhere you wanted last time I was there, but that was 6 years ago. Might be up to 75 cents now.Chuuk is still pretty backwater, so don't expect luxury accomodations. But you can't beat the wreck dives. Plan on many of the dives being fairly deep; 80-120'. Unless you just want to say you've done it, I wouldn't try to work in the San Francisco Maru, which sits at 200'. At that depth you will only have 10 minutes bottom time on the wreck, then three deco stops for a total of an hour of deco. It's an interesting wreck, but hardly worth an hour of hanging on a rope in midwater for just 10 minuetes bottom time. That being the deepest dive there, and it will cost you in bottom time available to do other shallower wrecks. The visability there isn't as good as Saipan due to a lot of plankton inside the lagoon, but still averages 40-50'. The vis does improve a bit if you go in January. Tell Gradfin and Gardenis John from Saipan says '"hello".

If you do decide to look into diving on Saipan, you might also think about spending a day or two on Rota. It's a lovel and much less developed island about 80 miles south of Saipan with some decent dives. Contact Mark Michaels at Dive Rota.

john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom