Anyone using an integrated weight system with a BP & wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k_im

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife certified and did our first three dive vacations in typical PADI style rental gear. After the second trip, she expressed a desire for her own set of regs, so naturally I complied. I also got an extra BP/W (for its versatility, she or any one of my three sons could wear it).
Long story short: She was game to try the rig, but she HATED using a weight belt buckled under the crotch strap. She practically demanded an integrated system.
I see that Dive Rite makes such a system, so I'm wondering if any members have tried it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much extra weight does she need? Are you diving in a dry suit?

In the salt chuck, she's been using 16 lbs with a 5 mm wetsuit. If she ever dives here (Vancouver BC) again she'll need a dry suit.

but she HATED using a weight belt buckled under the crotch strap. She practically demanded an integrated system.

The weight belt should never be under the crotch strap on a recreational dive. It makes the weightbelt non-ditchable.

If you want something else for weights, you can try the DUI Weight and Trim, which works nicely with a drysuit.

Was it hatred of the weight belt, or specifically of it being under the crotch strap? If it was the first, then I should mention that they sell weight harnesses that spread the weight across your shoulders. These are common amongst cold water divers that need a ton of weight. Another option would be weight plates/SS plate/weighted STA or other non-ditchable weight ideas. Or she can put the weight belt OVER her crotch strap, if it's the positioning of it.

I have dived a Diverite Transpac with a Rec Exp wing for single tank diving and put about 110 dives on it in 12 - 18 months (I say have because I have just converted it to side mount so it is no longer configured for single tanks).

I have used both the 16 lb. and 32 lb. integrated pockets with it, which thread onto the straps from the shoulder to the waist just above where they meet the belt. The rig works fine, and was lovely to dive, very easy to trim and - so much so that in the same time I only put 4 dives on my Scubapro BCD.

One thing to be aware of is that if using hard weights the shape of the weights can limit how mush you will get in the pouches. i.e. with some shapes of hard weight you won't get the pouch to close with 8 lb. in the 8 lb. pouch and so on, but I don't think you have the problem with soft shot weights but I haven't tried them.

With a drysuit you will definitely need the bigger size pouches, but it is no real hardship to just go with the big ones all the time.

I have changed the wing on the Transpac now to a Nomad wing, added a butt plate and use it for side mounting two tanks, but for the moment I have left the smaller pouches fitted because this is enough weight even with my Drysuit if I use a weight plate on the back as well.

So if you are looking for a recommendation of the Transpac for single tank diving with the integrated weights (and versatility when or if your diving needs develop) - it gets my vote. I am even thinking of picking up a second harness to put the Rec Ex wing back on so I don't have to dive my BCD for singes.

Have fun - P

It sounds like the solution goes beyond how you attach weights. I recently helped a female friend convert from a jacket to a wing. She got a small-size Freedom Plate Contour which fit her so well that a crotch strap was completely unnecessary.

The key differences compared to plates designed for doubles are the Freedom Plate offsets the bottom at 3° so it nestles into the back, the shorter height, and the shoulder straps radiate from the center. I was surprised just how different back-plates interface to a woman’s body mechanics.

For her, the most comfortable and best trim was to wear a rubber Marseille-style weightbelt low on her hips. You can do that with these belts due to the high stretch. It also allows her to move the weight up on her drysuit if needed. Of course you can use ditchable weight pockets on any plate if that provides the best trim.

Good luck helping her find the best solution.

Last edited:
Flotsam, she could have worn the belt over the crotch strap but my personal experience has been that 5 minutes into the dive the belt is working its way down to my ankles, so I advised her to do what I do.

For single tank diving I use a SS plate, weighted STA, and a couple of simple XS Scuba weight pouches on the belt to have a few lbs. to ditch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom