No Ditchable Weights on my rig - Advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So my current rig is a 32lb single bladder Apex BP/W with SS backplate and STA. I dive a 15 litre lightweight faber steel tank in warm waters.

I used to have integrated weight pouches but as my experience increased and my weight requirement came down took these off and put any weight I needed in the rear tank trim pockets

In the summer I dive a 3mm full suit ( with no weight in the trim pockets). On the first dive of the day I'm perfect at the SS - no (or very little ) air in the wing and can deploy my DSMB with no problems and hover around all day holding my depth. On the 2nd or 3rd dive when the suit has lost buoyancy a little then I'm slightly heavy having to put a couple of squirts in the wing to keep buoyancy at the SS.

Moving on to the cooler months I have a 5/7mm with which I add 2lbs in the trim pockets, I have a new 7mm which I'm guess I'll need perhaps another couple (not dived it yet and I will do a weight check when I do).

My question is am I causing an issue for myself having none of this really ditchable - it being in the rear trim pockets? A buddy could ditch the weight on my behalf by undoing the clasp and letting the weight drop free, but if I assume that the wing is inflated then it'll prevent me reaching around (especially in a "panic" situation)

I was considering for my 7mm putting some weight in a front pocket but am I over thinking this?

Given the fact I'm only carrying 4lbs of weight in addition to my usual rig I suppose at depth I could deploy my SMB for lift, get a lift off my buddy or just swim this up?

Maybe I'm over thinking this but the recent incident this year have made me re-evaluate and second guess myself.

Cant' re use the old integrated weight pouches as there's no room on my waist belt for them as I have 2 accessory pockets - but as I said I can put a couple of pounds in one of those - but how much of a difference would ditching 2lbs at depth make?

Thoughts from the experts please?

Switch to a AL B/P and/or AL tanks; you'll need weight.

I have a Al BP now for next season and travel, but as I said I was happy with buoyancy in the summer as I was maybe 1lb neg at worst.

Like my big tank, and an Al tank of that size wouldn't work - also don't like buoyancy swings on an Al (although I accept I'll get a similar thing with a 7mm)

My wife and I have dived for years with no weight. Usually use steel tanks and maybe add 2 to 3 lbs during cold winter diving and 5 or 7 mm suits. Hate when we go on trips and have to add a bunch of weights due to Aluminum Tanks. Enjoy it, have many friends diving steel tanks and they still need quite a bit of weight.

Do you feel comfortable not having the capability to ditch weight? If yes - change it
Change to ally something and make some weight ditchable if it's a problem

I've on occasion also dived without any ditchable weights,but it's rare. If I had an issue needing to get to the surface and I couldn't swim it I feel more comfortable having the ability to drop weights

Hi DD,

I have a Dive Rite Transpac harness with my wing that works well with a single AL80 or HP100, although I put a single 2Kg weight on the bottom of an AL80 using a separate cam band to trim it out. Works okay with 3mm suit and 4lbs around my waist

Same rig with my smallest set of doubles (AL50s) plus an AL30 deco bottle and I don't need weights at all wearing a 3mm so I carry an additional SMB as a redundant flotation system. This SMB (AP Valves Buddy) is actually larger than my usual one and also has a dump valve.

I bought an SS backplate and harness during the summer and plan to switch over to using that once the temperatures dictate more neoprene

With an AL80 and my 7mm semi dry I was carrying 14lbs of lead including ankle weights, with the SS backplate I hope to reduce my weight belt to 6lbs and no doubt come January I will be experimenting with this set up.

It is amazing how much difference a few pounds of lead can make and you should be capable of swimming your rig up if need be to a shallower depth in order to become more buoyant.

As long as you can maintain neutral buoyancy without air in your wing then you're fine. The problem I see us that us you increase depth and need to add air to your wing, you're now relying on the one bit of gear to get you up. Should the dump valve fall out for example, you will loose your buoyancy and start sinking. You still have your fins of course but I think you want to make sure that wing is well maintained.

You should consider carrying a SMB or small lift bag. Either could be manually inflated and used to get you up and keep you up.

I'll add that I don't carry ditchable weight but I do have redundancy between wing and dry suit.

Leg cramp and wing failure = ????

Redundancy of any kind is good.

Frankly, I'm a bit confused. I rarely have to put air into my bc unless I'm getting pretty deep. In any event, always completely dump whatever's in the bc at around 30' upon ascent. Then breathe my way up to SS. Can't imagine adding air to hold my stop. Quite often forget to add air upon reaching the surface. OK I'm not diving a wing, its a backinflate but I'm still amazed at this situation. Better ensure you can swim up your gear and then have some buoyancy redundacy available. Can your buddy swim you up?

Back
Top Bottom