I Love Our Ocean and this makes me Sad... "Aqua Seafoam Shame" Directors Cut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Hi friends,

Do YOU love the ocean? Not like it, I'm talking LOVE it. Like I do. Like, you can't live without it. Like, you had to move to the coast or live on an island in the middle of it because it was calling you. You made a career of it. (Boating. Surfing. Diving. Kiting. Tourism. Fishing. Photography. Research. Farming. Energy production. Transportation. Weather. Is this YOU?) It surrounds and affects and enhances your life on a daily basis and makes your life better. Like you sometimes just stare at it "just because". Like you take your kids and pets to it to make them happy. Because you know it makes them happy. And it does. Time may be running out as our ocean is getting sick... We need to maybe think about doing something. Soon.

Maybe not a big thing but this is "something" I decided to do. Tell you about it here on SB. You can do whatever you like with the information. Watch it. Don't watch it. Up to you.

Anyway, on with the show...

A friend of mine just clued me in on a new documentary that was filmed entirely on a Smartphone. (Yes, that's pretty cool in itself but wait, there's more...)

It is called "Aqua Seafoam Shame" and it is about our oceans/planets trash problem. You can watch it for free on Youtube.

[video]http://livinggreenmag.com/2013/04/05/video/aqua-seafoam-shame-feature-length-directors-cut/[/video]

or Here:

[video=youtube;bR0F_4GUgW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR0F_4GUgW8#t=2408[/video]

I want to say "Please do not watch this". Maybe it will just go away, right? Surely it is sensationalized. It may be slightly exaggerated and not be as big as they say. I mean really, how can the Pacific Trash Vortex be as big as the United States? It can't be that big!! Please. Now THAT would be a problem. There's not that much trash. Plus, the ocean is really big. and deep too so what's the big deal, right? :cool2:

The old thread I started here about the Pacific Trash Vortex got a lot of attention but has since kind of been buried. I guess they must have fixed it or something.

Does anyone here in Hawaii see trash on the beach or in the ocean? I think this mostly affects surfers not divers so maybe this is the wrong place to discuss this too. Sorry for that. ( surfrider.org has gotten behind this. I don't know about any dive organizations that have gotten involved so it must be limited to just surfers who care? ) It's pretty clean water here on Maui... I haven't seen any Japanese Tsunami stuff wash up yet either. Maybe it all got stuck in the vortex and we are going to be safe? I hope so.

What do you think? Are there any small changes that we can each make that will eventually make a big difference in the long run? Is this just hype? Do we have any actual ocean/marine experts here in the Ohana who can offer some qualified opinion? 'Cuz I'm just a dive instructor... what would I know?

Thank you and Namaste'.

I LOVE OUR OCEAN and THIS MAKES ME SAD...but.. WATCHING THIS VIDEO MAKES ME GLAD TOO!!!!!! It's good to see that there are people working hard on solutions and actually making progress. Please Help spread THAT GOOD NEWS with me. It's easy. It starts with discussion.

Who wants to brainstorm solutions to this with me? Please post your ideas here and we can share with like minded folks. I mean really. What are WE going to do about this? Forgive me if I'm wrong but the way I see it, it's up to US.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Shaka D

PS About 50 mins in to the video they specifically mention MAUI and HAWAII so I thought this might be worthy to bring up here. Since we live here and stuff...you know...

Not sure if you heard but there's a massive storm hitting England right now. Hurricane force winds on their East Shore. Here are a couple pics from some of the storm surge. Bringing in a little flotsam... Glad I won't be having to clean up this mess!!

England storm trash 1.jpg

Here's a link to the very informative article I found these in.
Sea walls already breached by raging seas more than two hours BEFORE high tide as 140mph Arctic winds batter British coastline | Mail Online

There are a lot of photos and a few video links in it. Anyone have friends there? Looks terrible. They have their own little mini-trash-vortex that came ashore. At least now they can scoop it from the sea!

England storm trash 2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom