Side gland vs top gland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
When butt mounting in the low position as with a stealth bc how important is a side vs top mount gland on your can light? If two identical lights with 50 inch cords were available but the the top mount gland was 100 cheaper which would you go with? Is the top mount even considered a compromise?

Really? Who's selling a sidemount gland for $100 more than a standard gland? They should cost the same. At least the lights I use are the same whether it's standard or sidemount cable.

That being said, I've used standard glands for years with only one issue. I was going through a tight restriction and the light failed. But it was a shorter cable and I had to mount it up on my back to be able to use it. With longer cables I'm able to mount the canister lower and haven't had any issues with the battery in that position.

i haven't encountered any problems with top as opposed to side.

Doesn't matter to me. It's way more important to get the length right. That might be shorter or longer than 50" depending on your height and mounting.

Just happened to be the pricing differences between two different light generation/model/close out. I ended up getting the newer gen light with the sidemount gland for 50 more than the older gen light with top mount. I was asking more of a hypothetical question as to whether or not people would pay a premium for a sidemount gland. I'm not sure if this style is more difficult to machine on a flat vs curved part.

I wouldn't pay the premium. Not when I can get the sidemount gland for the same price as the standard.

Back
Top Bottom