Palawan or Sogod?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading back to PI again in April 2014, 7th trip. I have not been to Palawan or Sogod yet. I had thought about spending my entire 2 weeks of diving on Palawan, going to Coron for ship wreck diving, El Nino for sightseeing, Sabang for underwater river and zip lining fun. Between relaxing, diving and some day trips I think I can burn up 2 weeks.

I understand the diving in Sogod is very good but I am not sure about staying in Sogod area for 2 weeks (is there anything to do or see on Leyte)? Plus I am not sure on the best way to get to and from Sogod since the typhoon? What is the easiest way to get to Sogod now?

Any help or suggestions?

I have started booking folks with Deep Blue Seafari in Palawan. They have some neat small resorts and also offer trips to Tubattaha. Great folks and I highly recommend them.

I'm planning on returning to Sogod Bay in either January or February. Not sure about the option of flying into Tacloban and taking the long bus ride down, but I know there's no problem going the way I went last time...via ferry from Cebu. Lots of options into various S. Leyte ports then 45 minute-4 hours overland depending where you go into. Highly recommend Sogod Bay Scuba Resort. I've dove all over the Philippines but only finally made it to Sogod last trip and I'd rate it up there among my other favorites in the country...nice combination of macro/muck options, wall diving, whale sharks also if in season. Also one of the better night dives I've done in the Philippines at the Padre Burgos Pier. I was just in/out for one week to dive only last time...someone else will probably speak up here but I don't think there is a great deal else to do to eat up another week in the area for your two week holiday. Have dove/gone to all the areas you mention on Palawan, and while I personally would rate the diving better at Sogod Bay, but El Nido is beautiful, the caves is a nice trip, you'd be in season for Tubbataha and there definitely is enough to do for two weeks if you did Palawan.. I'm sure you'd have a great time whichever way you went.

More things to do in Palawan however you do need good planning. You will be going in and out from two places(Coron and Puerto Princesa) which are miles apart. Two weeks is a bit tight for your proposed itinerary.
Can't go wrong with either Coron and Sogod Bay. Two completely different type of diving.
Enjoy.

There's still a limited flight schedule at the moment, but if the times work out there's no problem with flying to Tacloban and getting either public or private transport down to Padre Burgos.

Centrals
Do you think I need to plan on staying on Palawan for 2 weeks? is that what you are saying? to see and do everything there on the island? this will likely be my only trip to Palawan for a long time.....

has anyone else gone to Palawan? what are some really fun things to go and see there?

Centrals
Do you think I need to plan on staying on Palawan for 2 weeks? is that what you are saying? to see and do everything there on the island? this will likely be my only trip to Palawan for a long time.....

has anyone else gone to Palawan? what are some really fun things to go and see there?
Dive the wrecks in Coron, travel to El Nido for some more diving and top side attraction, onwards to Sabang for the underwater river as well as whatever you intented to do in Palawan. Two wks is pretty short time to cover all these.

+Sogod bay excellent diving - muck, macro, reef, night dives, whalesharks!

Centrals....many thanks. I actually have changed my trips and value your good advice. this will be trip # 7 for me. I will just fly directly to Coron from Manila and wreck dive, then boat ride over to El Nino, then the underground river and the zip line there in Sabang also.

Is there anything else cool to do on Palawan? what about anything south of Puerto Princesa?

About how long should I figure to stay in Coron wreck diving? what are the best ships to see and best locations to see other things as well?

I think I will wait on Sogod till next trip. Sounds like I will be short on time?

Centrals....many thanks. I actually have changed my trips and value your good advice. this will be trip # 7 for me. I will just fly directly to Coron from Manila and wreck dive, then boat ride over to El Nino, then the underground river and the zip line there in Sabang also.

Is there anything else cool to do on Palawan? what about anything south of Puerto Princesa?

About how long should I figure to stay in Coron wreck diving? what are the best ships to see and best locations to see other things as well?

I think I will wait on Sogod till next trip. Sounds like I will be short on time?
1. Never been to Southern Palawan but I do know USS flyer is lying at the tip of it at 100m.
2. I can easily spend one month diving just some of the wrecks in Coron.
3. The wrecks are quite a distance from the town of Coron(cheaper accommodation) unfortunately the alternatives are quite expensive.
4. I believe the roads in Palawan had improved so it won't be bone shattering experience any more.

Have a nice one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom