Dive Computer vs Pressure & Depth Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatrickS

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My name is Patrick and I just joined this forum:) (been a reader for a while now).

I finally decided to buy own full gear and i was wondering if i could have the input of the community on my current dilemma:
At some point in the near future (2-3 months) i will invest in a dive computer (600$max). Right now i am getting a depth + pressure gauge for about 240$ (Aqualung). My question is the following: would you entertain the idea of skipping the gauge altogether and buy a dive computer that would give me pressure, depth, compass, and watch instead? Potentially raise the price bar of the computer to 700$.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

Pressure gauge, then dive comp or depth gauge or both. Never make that computer your only point of reference for how much air is available

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I use Galileo Sol as a primary and havent had a problem, that being said, depending on the dive I use an spg (submersible pressure gauge) and use the galileo as a depth gauge. If your dives are recreational I wouldn't over analyze the dilemma and use a computer.

I believe the general advice you will receive is to always have a SPG. They are very reliable (generally only fail due to abuse).

Pressure gauge, then dive comp or depth gauge or both. Never make that computer your only point of reference for how much air is available

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I believe the general advice you will receive is to always have a SPG. They are very reliable (generally only fail due to abuse).

Strong statements. There have been threads on this issue of whether to have pressure gauge redundancy. I'm of the opinion that recreational divers who like the all-in-one aspect of an air-integrated computer will be just fine without attaching a separate mechanical pressure gauge (SPG). On a recreational dive, if your AI computer fails, you can always surface.

Hi Patric
My advice is to get a brass and glass pressure gauge and a wrist mount computer. You can get many wrist computers for much less than $600.00 new or used.

According to your calculations you will now spend $240 for a Console and then $600 for a computer which will add up to $840. So to me if you have the budget for a computer now,go for it.
IMHO The wrist mount is a better option than a air integrated just because you always have your dive info at a glance instead of every so often you reach for it to see where your at in your dive. It also helps tremendously for controlling your buoyancy because your depth is always only an eye twerk away.

Before buying an air-integrated wrist comp, I did a bit of research on the failures rates, if it were better to have an SPG in addition, etc. From what I remember the failure rate of dive computers and SPGs is pretty similar. There have been people who have died because their gauges stopped working; no system is without failure at some point.

I personally opted for an AI wrist without a gauge backup, and am very happy I went that way. I absolutely love having all the information a simple glance away, and a few models are in the 500-700 price range. Aeris Elite T3 is $499, and Oceanic has some great looking models too. These comps have plenty of reviews from people who have used them for hundreds of dives with no issue whatsoever.

Ideally you should be keeping track of things while diving anyway, and notice if your comp is malfunctioning. I.e. if you're at 100ft and it reads 2000 psi, then you check again later and it's still at 2000 psi, you should notice something is up. And if you're diving a wreck you know is at 90 ft, but your comp says you're at 50 ft, red flags...

I would get a compass separately, though. Suunto SK-7 is fantastic. I have it and my Aeris T3 on the same wrist, so it's not much different than having all the info on the same screen.

So many options. I bought a used reg. with colsole having depth gauge, SPG and compass. Can't recall the cost-- maybe 3-$400 Canadian? My (non air-integrated) comuter cost $270 back in 2007 and I have had 3 watches at about $25 each (one flooded on a freak accident). But all that does include the reg....

Hi,

My name is Patrick and I just joined this forum:) (been a reader for a while now).

I finally decided to buy own full gear and i was wondering if i could have the input of the community on my current dilemma:
At some point in the near future (2-3 months) i will invest in a dive computer (600$max).

Does not have to cost that much..

Right now i am getting a depth + pressure gauge for about 240$ (Aqualung). My question is the following: would you entertain the idea of skipping the gauge altogether and buy a dive computer that would give me pressure, depth, compass, and watch instead? Potentially raise the price bar of the computer to 700$.
Purchase a depth/spg for $240 is fine. That is a little bit high for what you get. At that price of $240. it should include a compass.. How are you going to keep track of time? Add in the price of a decent watch now you are up to what a computer can cost. A computer is a better buy, gives you more options. It truly is the way most recreational divers dive now. I cannot think of the last time I saw anyone use a dive table/watch on a recreational dive boat.

My setup of choice insists on having a wrist computer (on a DSS bungee mount) and a mini-spg clipped off to my side. No big computer consoles on a high pressure hose dangling at my side. For that matter, no consoles of any sort. Just a mini spg. You can easily get this setup for less than $350. If you're willing to buy used, even less.

Back
Top Bottom