kudos and no-kudos to Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last weekend I went diving.
I changed the battery of my Veo 180 NX PDC, as the old one was already in 1 segment.
This was my 4th battery change and I did all of them.
I was always afraid of the o-ring, as the whole design is a crap. It's almost impossible to be sure that the o-ring is correctly installed in it's place.
Well this last dive the o-ring was not placed correctly and a small leak was left. The sea water entered the battery compartment and during the second dive of the day, the battery died, spreading poisonous liquids inside the battery compartment.
I was guiding a group in a shallow dive, so I went on to the end of the dive (pushed by one of the divers that was sucking his tank). I thought at that moment that the battery was a **** and died, but not, after arriving to the hotel at the end of the day, I opened the battery compartment and found out that there was sea water inside.
I thought that the whole PDC was flooded and died, but after inspecting it, cleaning the interior of the battery compartment, the contacts, drying it with a hair dryer, I discovered that the battery compartment is completely isolated of the PDC electronics.
I went on cleaning and drying and finally I installed a new spare battery and it came back to life. Here comes my KUDOS for a battery compartment isolated from the PDC electronics !
NO KUDOS for the o-ring groove design. It's quite easy to install the o-ring and be bitten by the battery compartment hatch. The design should have been different.

i actually had one flooded after years of use. sent back and they replaced it for a nominal fee....then that one stopped working and they replaced it without further charge and sent me a hat.

If this leak was due to bad design and not user error, in the future I'd be getting a shop to change the battery at least that way if some thing goes wrong you have some recourse.

Good to know, as I also have a 180. I agree the O ring/battery compartment design is total crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom