What do you think of AIR2 type second stages

Do you like power inflators with an integrated regulator?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been working to streamline my setup for some time now. I've changed hose configurations a few times and had been pretty happy with a long primary on a 45' bend, and a short secondary on a necklace. The necklace makes for an extra step when donning or doffing kit. I had seen AIR2 type devices before and decided to pick one up. I've already got a hoseless air integrated computer and the air2 enables me to get down to only two hoses on my regulator.

This post isn't specifically about the AIR2 brand, but about the regulators that integrate onto the power inflator hose in general. Do you like them or not?

Now, to qualify - I mean only for OW recreational dives. I'm curious to hear comments about any kind of diving with one, but the poll relates specifically to these types of dives with air2 type devices. Please don't take this off topic with reasons why you don't like hoseless air integrated. I'm aware there are split opinions, and that's not the subject of this question.

I tried one in the pool at an LDS and it seemed to breathe as good as a "real" regulator. It was fairly comfortable despite having a puny mouthpiece. I bought the thing, and will dive it this Sunday for real.

I used an SS1 for a while--did both OW and AOW with it--and it worked great as a regulator, pretty well as an inflator (bit heavy on the inflation compared to what I prefer), and doing both at the same time was plenty workable as more than a few drills revealed. There is a bit of a tough choice between having a short inflator hose and being able to turn your head to the right during use, however.

Ultimately I decided it was inferior to having a second 2nd stage on a necklace for a few reasons, none of which had to do with whether the Air2 type world work well in an OOA emergency. Unrelated to basic OW use, I've noticed a couple of CCR divers use one on their wing because it's essentially an extra bailout reg.

I see no advantage to them over a bungeed back up. I do not allow them in my Advanced classes unless the student can prove to me ahead of time that they can do all the required skills with one. Such as a horizontal air share from 100 feet. Or a 100 foot no mask swim and ascent. All recreational dive skills.

Personally I don't like having the same thing I am inflating my wing with also be my back up air supply. I want a backup indentical in performance to my primary and that does not take a different service kit.

I see no advantage to them over a bungeed back up. I do not allow them in my Advanced classes unless the student can prove to me ahead of time that they can do all the required skills with one. Such as a horizontal air share from 100 feet. Or a 100 foot no mask swim and ascent. All recreational dive skills.

Telling me you disaprove of the configuration, why, and that you'll hold me to the same standard as a student wearing the gear that warms your little heart would be fine. But requiring someone to pass your class in advance of the actual class just because of their gear configuration strikes me as stupid, and I'd avoid you as an instructor if you tried that with me. It would be hard to blame your Air2 student if they told you after jumping through those hoops: 'Ok, I already completed the class...give me my card already.'

While one can discount the advantage provided by having to worry about a single piece of gear failing rather than two pieces of gear failing, and the advantage of having one fewer LP hose to manage/fail, they are advantages. Whether they're net advantages is more of a personal risk/reward analysis than objective fact.

Personally I don't like having the same thing I am inflating my wing with also be my back up air supply. I want a backup indentical in performance to my primary and that does not take a different service kit.

It's so cute to see a HOG diver talk down about regulator performance. I'll happily put an SS1 up against the performance of your HOG primary any day.

I used one in the past and it was just ok. 1) Its longer than the regular inflator and tends to dangle/hang down 2) when breathing off it, it restricted my head movement. However it breathed fine, no real difference than my primary, it fits the "donate the primary" methodology that I have always used 3) easy to find... I switched back to the bungeed 2nd, its just so much better when doing OOA drills and being able to swivel your head especially in a horizontal position.

Reactions: D_B
I don't see the point--I use a bungeed secondary.

It's so cute to see a HOG diver talk down about regulator performance. I'll happily put an SS1 up against the performance of your HOG primary any day.

Care to give a substantive breakdown of your experience with HOG regs and their performance?

Your poll has no place for "indifferent". It's not the equipment; it's the diver(s).

I have one that I picked up with a very nice BCD. I would not have bought it for myself, but it came with the BCD. I have run a few drill with it and while not insanely perfect, I am also slinging a pony. The Air2 is mostly so I can decide not to carry the pony and not have to worry about reconfiguring my reg or the extra hose to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom