NAUI Master Diver vs NAUi Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadership training. The Master Diver certification is the diving portion of the Divemaster course.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Master Diver is for someone that will buy anything, and wants a merit badge --but is not reaLLY WILLING to try and become a great diver.....Dive Master is far more advanced than just OW or AOW....and certainly won't harm you in terms of skills you could use, and things you will be able to do afterwards....

For most divers, a far more appropriate advanced class would be Peak control Buoyancy ( PADI version), I assume NAUI has something like PCB....or GUE Fundamentals--arguably the hardest class to pass in recreational diving--a bar set very high up for the rest to follow.

Master Diver is for someone that will buy anything, and wants a merit badge --but is not reaLLY WILLING to try and become a great diver.....Dive Master is far more advanced than just OW or AOW....and certainly won't harm you in terms of skills you could use, and things you will be able to do afterwards....

For most divers, a far more appropriate advanced class would be Peak control Buoyancy ( PADI version), I assume NAUI has something like PCB....or GUE Fundamentals--arguably the hardest class to pass in recreational diving--a bar set very high up for the rest to follow.

NAUI Master Diver is not your typical Master Diver cert. It is much more in depth than other agencies in my opinion.

Actually NAUI master diver is a standalone course. It requires instructor level knowledge and skills. All that is missing is the teaching component. NAUI master diver actually has far more diving knowledge and skills content than most DMand even some instructor programs. I use the NAUI Master diver manual for my SEI Master Diver program. It is nothing like other so called master diver cards.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Apparently Dan you're ignorant of what the NAUI Master Diver program is. It's not a merit badge. I believe you're confusing it with the PADI certification card of the same name, which is a recognition for having taken a certain number of con-ed classes.

NAUI Master Diver is an actual class ... to my concern probably the best class in the NAUI program. As I said, it's the diving portion of their DM program ... offered as an alternative for those who want the diving knowledge and skills without having to take a pro class, and the ensuing dues and insurance requirements, to get them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Jim for the great explanation of the difference between the NAUI Master Diver Course and other agencies recognition programs. The NAUI Master Diver Course is a respected training program by anyone who has been involved in it or completed it.

As Bob said once you complete the NAUI Master Diver Course you will have basic dive leader knowledge and skills, the Divemaster and Instructor program is designed to teach you how to teach what you know.

Apparently Dan you're ignorant of what the NAUI Master Diver program is. It's not a merit badge. I believe you're confusing it with the PADI certification card of the same name, which is a recognition for having taken a certain number of con-ed classes.

NAUI Master Diver is an actual class ... to my concern probably the best class in the NAUI program. As I said, it's the diving portion of their DM program ... offered as an alternative for those who want the diving knowledge and skills without having to take a pro class, and the ensuing dues and insurance requirements, to get them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Apologies to the NAUI crowd....I preferred NAUI back in the 70's when I was certified by them....but since the 90's the distinction has blurred a great deal....and in the last couple of years with the huge number of classes taught at the BHB Marine Park, you would need a program to tell you which awful class was PADI, and which was NAUI.
The only time I looked into what the course contained, was in the PADI version....and as you say, this is not fair for the differences.

I'd still suggest the skills in a GUE type Fundamentals class far outweight the value of the "knowledge" component that goes with being a NAUI instructor...as there are just as many poorly skilled NAUI Instructors at BHB as their are poorly skilled PADI instructors.....i.e., swimming head up, feet down...poor gear config....horrible kick stroke mechanics....poor aerobic fitness...limited situational awareness skills....

There are great instructors as individuals, and probably great MASTER DIVERs out of NAUI....but if someone just wanted to pick an agency course that would pretty much guarantee they would have top notch skills if they passed...that is fundies by GUE.

Dan ... GUE Fundies is not the answer to the question.

The OP didn't ask for a recommendation for skills ... he asked what additional training was required to go from one NAUI class to the other. In order to answer his question he needed to understand what each class was.

FWIW - GUE Fundies is a good class ... I've taken it a couple times ... but it won't do diddly squat to get you either a NAUI Master Diver or Divemaster rating.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll be sure to tell Robby that you don't approve of his skills Dan.

OP: do you ever want to DM on a boat or eventually teach diving? If not, go the master diver route...lots of good knowledge to be found there.

If you want to teach eventually, or get a job on a dive boat go the DM route, as it has much more to do with business, liability and planning dive excursions.

The master diver program will be invaluable though when and if you decide to become an instructor at some point, and the initial instructor exam is 99% from the master scuba diver course. Mostly as it relates to physiology and theory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom