UK & US prices for Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I was wondering, I am in the UK, just starting out in diving and I'm looking at kit which I will be buying as I need it.

I was looking at SMB's (I know I don't need them just yet) and I was amazed at how this piece of kit alone is around £90-£100 in the UK but a comparable model in the US is around $30-$40. Kit (some at least!) seems to be a lot cheaper in the USA.

Obviously you cannot comment on every bit of kit but I was wondering if this was generally the case and if so, would you recommend buying from the US or always buy local? Thinking along the lines of servicing costs etc.?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Jonny

Depends on the item. SMB's, reels, spools, etc. rarely if ever require any kind of service. Masks need to fit but once you find one that does why buy in the shop for 75 when you can get it on line for 40? Fins - again no service needed. Regs are another story. But not always. some brands are nasty about making you go to a dealer for service. Even when they don't need it.

There are others though that will sell kits and one will even provide training to divers to do their own if they meet a few easy requirements.
Things like BC's and wings on a Back Plate and Wing set up don't really require service either if you just exercise some reasonable care. I like wings as the only thing really to service is the inflator and just about anyone who is capable of holding a screw driver, spanner, and able to work a zip tie can do it. It's not rocket science. And as cheap as the are if the inflator fails after a few years and you don't feel like taking it apart you just take the old one off, buy a new one for $30 over here anyway, and pop it on, tighten the zip tie, and you're done.

It really depends on your budget. Supporting your local shop is a good idea. But doing so at the expense of not having enough money left to dive is just silly.

Brilliant. You've persuaded me. I like the idea of supporting my LDS but money is a big factor. Funny thing, I walked into my LDS and asked if I could pop in and look, ask questions, touch and get a feel/try of the items (being new to diving) and his response, "yes, if you're buying!". Only after I faithfully promised to buy from him was he helpful. It just felt it was more about the money (it's his business, I understand) but the customer experience wasn't that great! You made some good points and I think I will look more online for kit, leaving more money for diving.

Thank you for this, it may seem like an obvious or simple question but being new, there is so much to understand and appreciate - it's too easy to waste money if you don't ask and get advice!

Over the next few months you'll find second hand regulator sets on eBay UK for about 2/3 the price of the US site......Apeks and Scubapro in particular.

Be careful - many imports to the UK from the US are liable to tax and this is collected before they will deliver. I hunted around for a Diverite wing and harness and came up with a US site which on the face of it was much cheaper - even with international delivery factored in.

When it arrived through FEDEX they wanted the tax due paid to them. Apparently there is some sort of arrangement that FEDEX pay the tax and then reclaim it from the customer. I had to pay the tax to FEDEX before they would release the goods. FEDEX had (and passed on) all the Customs Receipts and I checked - so I know it was not a scam. BUT I ended up paying more than if I had ordered through a UK site. Although all the UK sites were showing a six week lead time and FEDEX did get the goods to me, from the US in just four days.

So be careful if you order from a US dealer or site that you will not get hit for an import tax. - Phil.

UPS also adds their own brokerage fees. Don't know about FedEx as I never use them. USPS is my main shipper and often they are half the price of either UPS or FedEx. I ship a lot of stuff overseas and have compared prices many times. A reg to Australia for example can be sent USPS now for 45.00. UPS wanted over 100.00. It also depends on what you buy. Some countries have allowances for up to so much as far as taxes go. Also there is a difference when buying used gear.

Yep - certainly seemed to be a free for all when I checked into it. My order was for about £580 (UK pounds) of new goods and the taxes I was hit for were about 25% of the order value - it wasn't pleasant to be told I had to shell out another £130 before I could have my goods. I have only ever ordered small items from abroad since. P

Brilliant. You've persuaded me. I like the idea of supporting my LDS but money is a big factor. Funny thing, I walked into my LDS and asked if I could pop in and look, ask questions, touch and get a feel/try of the items (being new to diving) and his response, "yes, if you're buying!". Only after I faithfully promised to buy from him was he helpful. It just felt it was more about the money (it's his business, I understand) but the customer experience wasn't that great! You made some good points and I think I will look more online for kit, leaving more money for diving.

Thank you for this, it may seem like an obvious or simple question but being new, there is so much to understand and appreciate - it's too easy to waste money if you don't ask and get advice!

Unless you've got someone coming back from the states, it's not worth it. For a dsmb, either go used or just get a standard buddy/ap valves self sealing. it will cost about £30. If your LDS is charging much more than that, find a new LDS because you're being ripped off. A new Halcyon 1.4m dsmb will run about £120. They're brilliant bits of kit, but no harder to put up than a standard ap valves £30 self sealing.
I would support your local shops. Most shops I've come across in the UK will price match (or come close to) online prices if you ask.

My LDS will price match, but can't necessarily get the gear I'm looking for which is why I rarely buy anything from them. I end up buying used stuff from here on SB's classified sections, or from online shops like Dive Right in Scuba, Dive Gear Express, Piranha Dive Mfg, and Northeast Scuba Supply. Those are my four regular online retailers.

As an example, I wouldn't buy a mask for $75 from a shop when I can get a comparable one for $20 online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom