Anyone with experience in New Caledonia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

I will be in NZ in February for work and am interested in checking out the diving in New Caledonia. I read a great report in undercurrent which sparked my interest. The review gave the name of a travel agent but the link no longer works. Does anyone have a dive agency they can recommend that has experience in booking a dive trip in New Caledonia? Also happy to get recommendation from folks that have first hand experience.

any advise to steer me in the right direction would be great.

thanks.

eric

Better diving in NZ I reckon. Dive The Poor Knights and Bay of Islands, a lot easier to get to, cheaper and brilliant diving. If only one, do The Poor Knights.

Gday Eric, I lived there for a number of years. some stunning diving and not many operators nor tourist so you don't see many other divers. if you are in noumea try kuendu dive safari - they are on facebook - or in the north babou plongee - lifou island is also very good at lagoon safari. generally dives are et the edge of the reef, new cal has the biggest lagoon in the world and a lot of reserves- parts are also registered as unesco worl heritage site, so a lot of big fish / sharks / mantas, wall dives, or inside the lagoon for the smaller stuff / wrecks etc.... some nice cave dives in isle of pines which is as close to 'paradise' as it comes. not cheap to get too nor stay but something different and main area of noumea and surrounding coast is a bit like the cote d'azur...

Dear Eric,
I do agree with Frog-fish, you should definitely try Kuendu Dive Safari. They are in Touho now, with Manta Rays. You should definitely try. Check out their facbook page or web site: Kuendu Dive Safari
I had a gray, authentic experience with them this year (great spots, authentic nature, not crowded with divers, exotic,...).
You might try also Iatok, in Nouméa. They are fine also.
Enjoy

UM Op was dec2013--But anyways.
I did about 15 dives over there at easter. Mostly with Abyss Plonge. Most of the dives there are just fantastic. If sharks are your thing then its well worth diving there.--actually the diving over all is great. BUT do be aware most dive ops use RIB's and its usually a 45 minute ride to the dive sites

Is it easy to see or shoot (photos) a dugong in New Caledonia? If yes what is the best season to see them? Thanks.
Dugong/sea cows etc totally do their own thing.So I wouldn't be counting on seeing any.-There are however some tame sea cows in Vila harbour you get to see regularly

Quite a few years ago I stayed on Epi Island in Vanuate, there was a resident dugong in the bay and across the way was another reef that had plenty of dugongs swimming about, very easy to get pics in crystal clear water, snorkelling is better than using tanks as bubbles seem to freak them out. They seem to be there year round.

Is it easy to see or shoot (photos) a dugong in New Caledonia? If yes what is the best season to see them? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom