• I don't care

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Don't take or touch anything, including shells with hermits

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Collecting dead shells OK, live ones, not OK

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Don't take, I know about mollusc populations

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Don't take/touch anything--Agencies say so, though I don't have data.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I collect sometimes--don't really think about it

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • All good, I am a shell collector

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few threads on it before and after I joined SB 7 years ago. Check which best describes you. Elaborate if you like, but it's all been said. Check one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't collect shells. I pick them. And take them home and eat them, 'cause seafood is yummy! Provided I dive my home waters, at sites with a healthy exchange of clean water and a good population. I don't harvest vulnerable species or populations.

Oh, you mean for a collection? Nope. My wife tells me I drag too much stuff into the house as it is, and shells aren't on the top of my list of stuff I'd like to collect.

I don't collect shells. I pick them. And take them home and eat them, 'cause seafood is yummy! Provided I dive my home waters, at sites with a healthy exchange of clean water and a good population. I don't harvest vulnerable species or populations.

Oh, you mean for a collection? Nope. My wife tells me I drag too much stuff into the house as it is, and shells aren't on the top of my list of stuff I'd like to collect.

China had just banned the import of geoduck, bivalves etc. from certain states in USA because of arsenic contamination!!

China had just banned the import of geoduck, bivalves etc. from certain states in USA because of arsenic contamination!!

That might be the public line, but it's more an issue of a trade, protectionist embargo. Pot calling the kettle black, anyway.

Shell collecting and export is illegal in many places. Want a good laugh? Hit eBay with the word "roatan" and see how that law is working. Same with any other prohibited place or product.

I can't say that I've never collected a dead shell, but in general I maintain a hands off approach. I would never collect a living shell solely for the shell.

Dead only unless I plan on eating it.No different than hunting an elephant or rhino for tusks or horn and throwing the meat to the vultures.I was taught only to kill what I planned to eat.

Collecting and hunting to me are different.
I HUNT live abalone to eat (legally)
I HUNT scallops to eat (legally)
I collect small empty abalone shells that lay on the bottom because I think they are neat to collect. Nothing illegal or wrong with any of it.
Empty shells will just get ground up into powder on the ocean floor anyway so what difference does it make? As long as nobody is living in them.

Collecting and hunting to me are different.
I HUNT live abalone to eat (legally)
I HUNT scallops to eat (legally)
I collect small empty abalone shells that lay on the bottom because I think they are neat to collect. Nothing illegal or wrong with any of it.
Empty shells will just get ground up into powder on the ocean floor anyway so what difference does it make? As long as nobody is living in them.

A real good start and much the way I look at shell collecting.

However, I know shell collectors and they do have some nice shells and enjoy them. I would suggest that the collector have to physically collect the shell for his collection and ban the sale or trade of shells. Just as in fishing, it is not the individual fisherman who changes the balance, its the commercial operations that when trawling, kill everything in their path to select a portion to harvest and sell.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

That might be the public line, but it's more an issue of a trade, protectionist embargo. Pot calling the kettle black, anyway.

Shell collecting and export is illegal in many places. Want a good laugh? Hit eBay with the word "roatan" and see how that law is working. Same with any other prohibited place or product.

It was reported on KIRO News 7 here in Seattle last night that high levels of contaminants were found in the Geoduck population. Nothing to do with trade or China just stating a fact. Although I think it is a pot/kettle situation if you compare it to the poisoned pet treats they shipped here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom