Drysuit Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

declan long

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone

So drysuits, arrrr, love the idea but can't seem to get used to it, 1st i have waxed my zipper a few tmes and now it seems at the end of the zip there is some **** like a white lump of snot - sorry to be so graphic but i need to explain! 1st i don;t think this is the wax as it's on the other side of the zip, so how many of you clean your zipper with a toothbrush after diving and how often? Also how do you care for your zip like waxing and the inside and what not?

Diving in the suit.
Seems fine for recreational diving put in the PADI dvd you hear "don't let your feet higher then your head" now as someone with nice trim i like to have my feet high? explain please.....?
Also it says ascend head up and with a twin and three stages you don;t do this.......explain please?

Any info appreciated.
Declan Long

i have waxed my zipper a few tmes and now it seems at the end of the zip there is some **** like a white lump of snot - sorry to be so graphic but i need to explain! 1st i don;t think this is the wax as it's on the other side of the zip
What else can it be?

how many of you clean your zipper with a toothbrush after diving and how often?
Not even once, so far.

how do you care for your zip like waxing and the inside and what not?
Wax zipper with paraffin wax when it starts to get harder to close, about every three to half dozen dives, by rubbing chunk of paraffin wax along zipper a couple of times, then closing & opening zipper a couple of times.

in the PADI dvd you hear "don't let your feet higher then your head"
Some people seem to have problems flipping back to horizontal if they end up upside down. I've never had a problem with this, but the quote might just be PADI making a CMA statement. (see here, BTW).

Also it says ascend head up and with a twin and three stages you don;t do this.......explain please?
I don't really understand your question, but if you're not able to dump air from your DS while ascending, ýou're going to have a runaway ascent. Thus, make sure your left shoulder with your suit's exhaust valve is more or less the highest point of your body. This may be easier to accomplish if you're not in horizontal trim, but a bit head-up. If you use your BCD instead of your DS for buoyancy control underwater, avoiding a runaway ascent is easier. I do that, and I make sure to dump all air from my DS at my safety stop, making buoyancy control during the last few meters before the surface easier.

You're over thinking it man. I've been dry suit diving a long time with no formal training. So, as to your issues from my POV:
Regarding waxing the zip, I do it every half dozen dives or so. Never been a problem. The metal ones will need periodic replacement though. It's a fact of life, just accept it. I've never cleaned one with a toothbrush, nor do I know anyone who does. Don't know about the white stuff, but excess wax seems logical. Nothing I've ever seen anyway.

Diving the suit: I regularly dive with a CCR on my back, 3 AL 80's, and a scooter. I ascend in horizontal trim as best I can. Ascending head up? I suppose there is a time and place, but I can't think of it.

Probably need to find one of those shredders that can take a CD disc and feed the PADI DVD into it. Then hook with an experienced dry suit diver and go diving.

The whole idea of a dry suit certification borders on ludicrous. Simple things like dry suits lend themselves well to mentoring.

Good luck, have fun, and safe dives!

Sent from behind a pint of Guinness.

Hi Everyone

So drysuits, arrrr, love the idea but can't seem to get used to it, 1st i have waxed my zipper a few tmes and now it seems at the end of the zip there is some **** like a white lump of snot - sorry to be so graphic but i need to explain! 1st i don;t think this is the wax as it's on the other side of the zip, so how many of you clean your zipper with a toothbrush after diving and how often? Also how do you care for your zip like waxing and the inside and what not?

Diving in the suit.
Seems fine for recreational diving put in the PADI dvd you hear "don't let your feet higher then your head" now as someone with nice trim i like to have my feet high? explain please.....?

Any info appreciated.
Declan Long

Not sure what your white lumpy substance is, sorry! Never encountered anything like it with my drysuit. I usually wax my zip before I pack my suit away after it dries. Never clean it with a toothbrush, but if i've been diving in the salty stuff, it gets a really good rinse/soak once i get home.
I always dive in fairly good trim, with my knees bent, somewhere around 90 degrees.. No issues to speak of, and it keeps my feet warm :).
Also, I ascend horizontally as well. When I need to dump gas out of the suit, I roll to the right so my dump valve is the highest point. sit there for a few seconds watching the gas dump out of my suit. I know some people who straighten their legs a bit, let their knees slightly drop and make a sort of superman pose. I've tried it, doesn't work for me.
Before you start doing any sort of technical dive in the drysuit, you need to be comfortable and in control of it. Do you have any technical diving buddies that also dive in a drysuit? Start doing some nice, easy, and shallow recreational dives with them. Ask them for advice, see what they say, etc. The PADI drysuit class is crap. I learned more from diving with my mentor than i did from the PADI class.

I concur with the other posters on pretty much all points. I was PADI trained as well but the PADI way is kind of dumbed down, remember it's generally intended for recreational divers with a single cylinder. So once you start adding non-rec gear or incorporate "advanced" techniques then some PADI recommendations may become incompatible. On the subject of the feet thing, that is taught in the class. Air in the suit tends to rise to the highest point. If the highest point becomes your feet, then the air is trapped there and can't vent; if you ascend just a little that air can cause a runaway, feet-first ascent, which would obviously be a bad thing! Keeping your feet lower than your head is one solution, but I use gaiters, as do pretty much all the other dry divers I can think of. Mine are from Halcyon. A friend made some cheaply with some materials from Home Depot. They are just fabric with stretchy straps and Velcro and serve to squeeze excess air out of the calf area.

the PADI way is kind of dumbed down, remember it's generally intended for recreational divers with a single cylinder.
I'm a rec diver, never used a double set. You don't need to be a tech/DIR/double set diver to use a DS. It's not rocket science. Srsly.

Air in the suit tends to rise to the highest point. If the highest point becomes your feet, then the air is trapped there and can't vent; if you ascend just a little that air can cause a runaway, feet-first ascent, which would obviously be a bad thing!
The key word here is "can". Practice standing on your head, then flipping your fins to get horizontal until it becomes second nature. It doesn't take much effort. Then, if you feel that you're getting just slightly on the light side, flip horizontal, roll to your right and vent. Again, it's not rocket science. It's all about anticipating buoyancy change and handling it before it's too late.

Hi Everyone

Diving in the suit.

Any info appreciated.
Declan Long

Declan, what kind of zipper wax are you using? There's hard wax ... somewhat like parafin. The advantage to it is that it tends to be self-cleaning. But you need to use it more often ... every dive on new zippers, which tend to be stiff until they get some dives on 'em. Then there's soft wax ... the ones that look like crayons, or something like McNally ZipTech. These can get gummy if you overuse them and could account for what you're calling "snot". The key to using this kind of wax is to put it on sparingly ... remember, what you're really wanting to lubricate isn't the zipper so much as the car, which you do by lubricating the zipper teeth and pulling the car over the lubricant a time or two. Overdoing it will create a build-up which will show up at the end of the zipper. If that's what you're seeing it means you're using too much wax. Whatever you're using, avoid getting it on the sealing surfaces.

As a caution, don't use beeswax. Yeah, it's a great lubricant, but it tends to build up on the teeth and trap grit, sand and whatever else will stick to it. Zipper manufacturers and drysuit repair techs love for people to use beeswax because it generally causes the zipper to fail faster because of that buildup. So use either the hard or soft wax, and if the soft wax go easy on the application.

As for feet position, you will learn how to manage the bubble to your advantage ... it just takes a few dives. If your boots fit properly, there should be adequate room in them for some airspace, but without a danger of not being manageable. Some people use ankle weights to keep their feet down ... but more often than not that's just a crutch for an irrational fear. If you feel like there's too much air in your feet, look up (your body tends to go where your head goes), straighten your feet out, and the air will move to the highest point in your suit ... which will be away from your feet. It takes a bit of practice to do it smoothly, but again, a few dives should do it. If it gets to be too much of an issue, gaitors or fin keepers will can help you manage air migration to your feet.

As for ascending head up ... no need to do this at all. The rationale behind this is because it's easier to maintain an air bubble up close to the vent valve, for ease in managing the bubble. But it's not necessary ... or even desireable ... it's just easier to learn how to do it that way. Wth a few dives you can easily learn to manage the bubble from the horizontal position and just roll your left shoulder up a bit when you want to vent. The key is to make the vent valve the highest point in the suit, but it doesn't have to be high by very much ... a couple inches higher than your torso will cause the bubble to move to the desired position and water pressure will do the rest.

I'd recommend practicing without the stages for a few dives, to get used to the feel and control of the drysuit ... then add the stages one at a time for a few dives to get used to the feel for what you're doing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use bowstring wax on my zipper. I think it's a bit softer than paraffin wax but works well. I have cleaned my zipper a couple times with a toothbrush, primarily because I bought it used and it had a fair amount of corrosion on it. I cleaned it up waxed it, cleaned again after a couple more dives and now it's as good as new. I wax after every few dives but haven't noticed any heavy build-up unless I'm a little overzealous with the wax. I just rub the wax along the outside of the zipper after it's zipped and then if necessary rub it into the teeth a little bit to get rid of any "excess".

Don't get air in your feet advice in the PADI book is just a reminder to not get inverted accidentally. Even if it happens it's not particularly hard to deal with and other than that, dive like you normally would. Ignore the "ascend head first" thing as that's just crap advice anyway. It takes a few dives to get used to it but even without a course it's not particularly difficult to do, even for a newb like me. I will recommend diving with some more experienced drysuit divers the first couple of dives, though.

One of the common things I end up doing at my 3min-15ft safety stop is the continual spinning to keep my feet down, while I drain the air out of my suit.

Toothbrush with some McNett's Zipcare does the trick for cleaning.

I lubricate with the McNett's ZipTech on the outer teeth...Maybe once a season, I'll put a TINY bit of McNett's Seal Saver (pure silicone oil) along the drysuit sealing surface, as well as along the inner teeth.

The trick is that you don't want to use silicone on any glued components, so it is important to use it very sparingly when you do use it.

Back
Top Bottom