Where to place odd numbered weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm using a BP/W BCD. I have 2 weight pockets on my waist strap and two trim weight pouches on my lower tank cam band.

I'm at a loss as to where to place odd number weights.

E.g. when diving with 3mm wetsuit, I put 2 lbs each in each waist weight pocket, total 4 lbs.

What if I wanted 6 pounds, i.e. 3 pieces? Where do I place the 3rd piece?

Or more realistically, when diving dry, I use 12lbs, i.e. 6 x 2lbs. I put 4 lbs on my waist pouches, and the other 8 on my lower cam bands in 2 trim weight pouches, with one trim weight pouch on each side.

What if I wanted 2lbs more? Where can I place it so it does not unbalance me?

I have noticed that 2lbs is enough to cause me to feel lopsided so that it's very uncomfortable on a dive. This was when I was in a 3mm wetsuit.

Your advise is welcome, thanks!

If I need six pounds, I use two threes. If I can't get that, I go to eight and dive a little overweighted.

If you use a back-inflate BC, you should be able to park enough gas in one side to balance a couple of pounds. Tech divers carry full 80's that are several pounds negative; sometimes they carry two on one side.

My can light, which sits on my Hog harness on my right hip is two pounds negative. So, I always have my weight belt set up with two more pounds on my left side.

I have some 1 lb weights, so I guess you should be able to buy them where you are too.

My rear trim pockets like yours are on the lower cam band but I slide mine right around to the BP - In this position a "lopsided weight" would only be 3" off my centre line so that shouldn't be an issue (if your centreline is a fulcrum and the weight at a given distance will have a greater or lesser effect on the rolling moment).

+1 for TS and M too

The few times I have needed an additional single trim weight, I've just used a solid weight to thread it on the waist belt of my BP, and position it next to the crotch strap.

If using AL80s I have a tank cam band that I use at the bottom of the tank for adding a 1Kg weight (or more if required).

I've put a 1lb ankle weight on students' tank valve.

I just stick the weights in either weight pouch. I don't worry to much about being perfectly balanced. I carry a pony on one side, a few pounds of flashlight on the other. If I am diving no wet suit in dive 4 pounds dumped on one side so I can use the empty weight pocket on other side for stuff. I weigh 200 lbs then 70 lbs of gear I have not noticed having to fight a couple extra pounds not being symmetric.

How do you do that??

At least in a wing-type BC, when you are horizontal, the air in the BC is up in the side pontoons, lifting them up alongside the tank. As long as you stay horizontal, the gas cannot shift from one side to the other. So if you put air in the BC and roll a tiny bit to the right, the gas will go in the left pontoon and stay there. (And, btw, it sounds as though this is complicated, but you do it instinctively from the beginning -- I don't know how -- and you're unaware of what you did, except that it works.) On the Intro to Tech 5thD-x dVD, there is an excellent example of this, but I cannot find that video on line this morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom