From BCD to BPW: The Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
This is a thread in progress:

The evolution began about a month ago after reading several threads on the Freedom Contour backplate. The description of the fit, especially for the vertically challenged female, got my attention and let's face it, if a backplate can beautiful, it's this one. So I ordered one from Eric Sedletzky. It was a tough decision. I have dove with my Oceanic Islander since OW class and I love it but I was ready for a change.

When the plate arrived, I was thrilled. It is a work of art and after rigging some quick webbing, I knew it was going to fit like a glove.

Since then I've been busy ordering more webbing and other accessories. I have an industrial sewing machine and am pretty good at DIY so given the recent threads debating the traditional Hogarthian vs "comfort harness" I decided to make both.

Here is the first try at the comfort harness without the hardware. It really wasn't too hard at all. The webbing and slide release connectors are from Dive Gear Express, the Oxycheq shoulder pads and wing is from ScubaToys and the cam buckles and tension pads are from Piranha. I made the bands as well. I used 2 inch Velcro and nylon 69 thread from eBay. Because weight is a concern, I have used as much plastic vs SS as possible.

Unfortunately, I won't get to dive the setup until March. Plan to try both harnesses then. Preliminary in home results lean toward the comfort harness.

The photos are taked with the BPW on a HP 80 for size comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 811
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 726
To quote Eric, "it's not DIR, you will die."

I thought of that but I think the pony bottle and Air 2 will get me first! Eric knew I wasn't DIR before he sent the plate. I think he may be hoping to convert me. The jury is still out. I'll let you know if I see the light...

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to manipulate the webbing. One can alter the standard harness to adapt to the unique needs of each diver, such as a quick release for my limited ROM in my shoulder.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2013 at 09:08 AM ----------

Very nice looking rig!!
I think you will find it to be the most comfortable rig ever.

I've only gotten to try it on land so far but I can tell you even then it feels great. It conforms to my back like it was made just for me and sits snug even with the weight of the tank on.

Although I own a "standard" backplate, I almost never dive it because it is uncomfortable on my back while diving a single tank. I've heard a lot of good words about the Freedom plate which might eliminate the concerns I have had with "standard" BPs and single tanks. However, I still dive my soft harness (old SB X-Tek) and wings since it is a very comfortable combination for me. I bought several of them used on E-Bay and should have enough to last the rest of my life, but if I don't perhaps I'll place an order with Eric in a few decades! Tee hee.

What does an SB X-Tek soft harness look like? I took a commercial diving harness and turned it into a BP/W for travel.

IMG_2374.jpgIMG_2373.jpgIMG_2372.jpgIMG_2365.jpgIMG_2364.jpg

:idk: I thought a BPW was a BCD (buoyancy compensating device). All BPW are BCD, but not all BCD are BPW............ :D

Unless you take the w off, as in the old days when everyone wore 1/2" farmer johns + jacket with a beaver tail.

:idk: I thought a BPW was a BCD (buoyancy compensating device). All BPW are BCD, but not all BCD are BPW............ :D

True. It would have been more accurate to have said "From back inflate vest style BCD" but just doesn't have the same poetic ring...

It is well worth the time to find a swimming pool to test the rig and dial-in trim. It makes your first ocean dive with any new piece of gear much more enjoyable. Little problems like hose routing, fine trim, strap lengths, and hanging accessories all become clear after hitting the pool -- and are much easier to resolve than off a boat or on a beach. There are also no distractions so you can really analyze imperfections.

It is a lot of work, but putting the effort in to customize the system results in an intuitive understanding that most people never develop. I encourage you to be inventive and critical. It's OK to start with what others are doing but don't hesitate to make it exactly how you like it.

Please let us know what else you discover.

Back
Top Bottom