Diving safely without a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I live in a part of the world where no immersion suit means hypothermia quickly.

However, long before I ever learned how do dive, I have always wanted a picture of myself in my swimsuit and dive gear.

I know there are lots of places that have warm water, however, with jellies and coral at most of them, not wearing some sort of protection could cause problems.

So, besides a swimming pool, where could I dive without having a wetsuit or more on, yet have beautiful background?

Any warm water location. While jellies are of real concern at some locations, they're not everywhere. Also, not touching the coal is the best way to keep from it hurting you. Staying off of it is a requirement in my eyes, even if you're in a wetsuit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Just got back from a week in Bonaire. 82* water was great for diving in shorts. As stated coral or other fixed sea life should not be a problem, stay off of it, just as you would with a wet or drysuit. If you don't, you deserve to get what it gives you. I will say in Bonaire I was trying to get a pic when we were in the surge. I made a small turn, surge hit and a piece of fire coral hit the back of my knee. It was not awesome, but it was fully deserved and made me way more "in tune" to my position the rest of the trip.

Go to warm water place.

Take your photo

Put a wet or skin suit back on.

I have done swim suit only dives in the Florida Keys in summer, I forget the reason. But prefer a wetsuit for jelly protection, for sun protection, and because even in warm water it you are doing say 4 dives in a day it starts getting cool sometimes on dives 3 and 4.

So, besides a swimming pool, where could I dive without having a wetsuit or more on, yet have beautiful background?

I've done it a couple of times. Once in Mexico and once in Malawi. The feeling of freedom is fantastic.

R..

stay off of it, just as you would with a wet or drysuit. If you don't, you deserve to get what it gives you.

I don't know if there's a quote I've agreed with more on this board.

I just did 10 days in the Maldives in my shorts and rashguard. :)

In Cozumel last week many of the men we dove with wore only swim trunks, and a few swim trunks with a shirt. Didn't see any women without at least a shorty on, but I imagine it happens in the summer months.

Just back from Bonaire. Neither time I was there (nov & Jan) did I use anything more than nylon soccer shorts and a nylon T (dry quick). #-4 dives a day & never got the least bit cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom